Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Popup Not Working

Popup Not Working

Joe Patrick

On http://www.freewebs.com/railwaysonline/emu.html I have some thumbnails
which should open Up in new windows. Before I replaced it with the Old one,
I tried it out, using notepad and IE and it worked, Now after I have
uploaded it, the windows wont Popup. Any Ideas?

PeterMcC

Joe Patrick wrote:
> On http://www.freewebs.com/railwaysonline/emu.html I have some
> thumbnails which should open Up in new windows. Before I replaced it
> with the Old one, I tried it out, using notepad and IE and it worked,
> Now after I have uploaded it, the windows wont Popup. Any Ideas?

Because it says

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Hywel Jenkins

In article <blmuf9$sor$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> On http://www.freewebs.com/railwaysonline/emu.html I have some thumbnails
> which should open Up in new windows. Before I replaced it with the Old one,
> I tried it out, using notepad and IE and it worked, Now after I have
> uploaded it, the windows wont Popup. Any Ideas?

You really need to do something with those images. For example,
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/08...e/0be8318e.jpg
is displayed at 125x100 pixels and is 58k. The image is really 640x480
pixels. Simply scaling it in HTML is a bad idea. The poor unsuspecting
trainspotter has to wait for hundreds of kilobytes of images to download
just so that they can see the thumbnail. ON a 56k modem, the above
image will take approximated 15 seconds to download. Assuming that the
other images are the same size (I can't be arsed to check) you have
almost 1 megabyte of images on one page. Some poor chuffer nutter has
to wait nearly 5 minutes for the page to load.

Resize the images to thumbnails in a graphics' package and do the
thumbnail properly.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Andrew Davidson

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BkDfb.3509$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Joe Patrick wrote:
> > On http://www.freewebs.com/railwaysonline/emu.html I have some
> > thumbnails which should open Up in new windows.

They don't look like thumbnails to me. Proper thumbnails would be reduced in
size to give fast loading. Then, when the user clicks on them, the full size
picture will load.

What you have done is to squeeze the full size pictures into a small space. This
means they take just as long to load but are poorer quality. Find a good
photo-editor and create some proper thumbnails. Your visitors will thank you.

--
Andrew Davidson