Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > account for border-width

account for border-width

shank

When specifying a border-width, is the dimension of the border added to the
outside of the entity, or is it split half on the outside, half on the
inside. I'm nesting <DIV>s and it can get aggravating! The layout falls
apart and I'm sure it has to do with accounting for borders.
thanks!

Dan

Don't forget about margins as well.

Check out this link. It should help:
http://www.brainjar.com/css/positioning/default.asp

Toby A Inkster

shank wrote:

> When specifying a border-width, is the dimension of the border added to the
> outside of the entity, or is it split half on the outside, half on the
> inside. I'm nesting <DIV>s and it can get aggravating! The layout falls
> apart and I'm sure it has to do with accounting for borders.

percieved width = css width + css padding + css border

amount of horizontal space that an element takes up
= percieved width + css margin

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS