Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > proxy caching?

proxy caching?

csmitc606

i released a new web site. many of the images on the new site have the same
name as different images that were on the old site. the path and the image
names can't change. i'm seeing the old images on the new site because of
proxy caching. can someone tell me typically how long these proxy caches
hold onto content before it gets flushed out? what are my options here?
remember i said that changing the path and image names is not an option.

thanks,
craig

Isofarro

csmitc606 wrote:

> can someone tell me typically how long these
> proxy caches hold onto content before it gets flushed out?

"How long is a piece of string?"

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

brucie

In post <YbDeb.9$(E-Mail Removed) m>
csmitc606 said...

> can someone tell me typically how long these proxy caches
> hold onto content before it gets flushed out?

ultimately as long as they want to.

> what are my options here?

bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

--
02/October/2003 06:39:54 am

csmitc606

> ultimately as long as they want to.

i know. i was asking for a typical duration. default. average.

> > what are my options here?

> bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
> server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
> with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

sounds good. but i'm guessing the public proxy i use wouldn't appreciate
having www.bmwusa.com traffic routed through it.

csmitc606

"Isofarro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "How long is a piece of string?"

Post whore. The average length of a string in a YoYo (proxy server) is 1.2
meters. Make yourself useful.

And for those of you interested in more than sharpening your wit on the
lowest form of humour, I have partially found a solution to my problem. Most
server software have a capability to set a duration for a page in the
software settings (IIS has a setting for this).

Matthias Gutfeldt

csmitc606 schrieb:
> Most server software have a capability to set a duration for
> a page in the software settings (IIS has a setting for this).

You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
on the web, and you're all set!

Matthias

csmitc606

> You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
> on the web, and you're all set!

And you aren't.

1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server. Read
the post.

2. This will prevent it from happening again. So yes, I am smart. Thanks for
noticing.

Anything else constructive to add?

csmitc606

Would it hurt for someone to say something like...

"It varies greatly but on average the content should refresh itself after a
few days."

I haven't slept in 36 hours and you all get off hanging around in newsgroups
trying to flame people who don't know as much about something as you. Hope
it makes you feel important.

Matthias Gutfeldt

csmitc606 schrieb:

> > You're a genius! All you now need to do is change all the proxy servers
> > on the web, and you're all set!

> And you aren't.
>
> 1. It isn't the proxy servers that need changing. It is the web server. Read
> the post.
>
> 2. This will prevent it from happening again. So yes, I am smart. Thanks for
> noticing.
>
> Anything else constructive to add?

No. I am utterly awed by your superior intellect and communication
skills.

Matthias

brucie

In post <WqHeb.1359$(E-Mail Removed) rs.com>
csmitc606 said...

>> bypass the proxy causing the problems. google for a public proxy
>> server and tell your browsers to make requests through that server
>> with a bit of luck you'll go around the proxy causing problems.

> sounds good. but i'm guessing the public proxy i use wouldn't appreciate
> having www.bmwusa.com traffic routed through it.

i think you're looking at it around the wrong way. you don't direct
traffic through the proxy, requests _to_ your server come through the
proxy. the visitor needs to be using the proxy.

most public proxies don't care what the content type is and if you do
get one that only does text/html (or whatever) just use another of the
thousands available.

--
02/October/2003 07:17:39 am