Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > ftp - newbie needs help

ftp - newbie needs help

FH

hi... sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup to ask, but i need to know how to
use a ftp program. i'm using WS_FTP Pro and don't know how to fill out the
host name ( i'm using comcast ), the userID and Account. do i need to call
Comcast to have this info filled out to use the program?

thanks for any help

Daniel R. Tobias

FH wrote:

> hi... sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup to ask, but i need to know how to
> use a ftp program. i'm using WS_FTP Pro and don't know how to fill out the
> host name ( i'm using comcast ), the userID and Account. do i need to call
> Comcast to have this info filled out to use the program?

The hostname is just the address you're uploading to; if this is to
upload files to your own Web site which has its own domain, then simply
putting that address (e.g., "www.example.com") should work. If it's a
site in a subdirectory of somebody else's domain, use that (if your site
is at "http://www.example.net/~yoursite/", use "www.example.net"). If
it's an FTP site unconnected with a Web site, ask the provider what its
hostname is.

The UserID and password are those connected with your account; your
provider should have told you them.

I've never had to use the Account field; I think some kinds of mainframe
systems require it, but nothing I've ever used; you can probably leave
it blank.

--
== Dan ==

FH

> The hostname is just the address you're uploading to; if this is to
> upload files to your own Web site which has its own domain, then simply
> putting that address (e.g., "www.example.com") should work. If it's a
> site in a subdirectory of somebody else's domain, use that (if your site
> is at "http://www.example.net/~yoursite/", use "www.example.net"). If
> it's an FTP site unconnected with a Web site, ask the provider what its
> hostname is.
>
> The UserID and password are those connected with your account; your
> provider should have told you them.
>
> I've never had to use the Account field; I think some kinds of mainframe
> systems require it, but nothing I've ever used; you can probably leave
> it blank.
>
> --
> == Dan ==
> Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/