Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > link open new window

link open new window

SeeSchloss

> Say I have a link like this

> How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go
> back\go forward buttons ?
>
> Cheers

Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

--
SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net

Jukka K. Korpela

SeeSchloss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Say I have a link like this

>> How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go
>> back\go forward buttons ?
>>
>> Cheers

> Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?

Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the foot?
To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this particular thing
is not possible in HTML but could be done in JavaScript. To shoot on the
other foot too, use an image of Google and use onclick for it to open the
new window instead of ugly links.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

floortje

"John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:3f76ea2f$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9404A89A972A4jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..

> > > Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

> > Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?
> >
> > Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the foot?
> > To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this particular

thing
> > is not possible in HTML but could be done in JavaScript. To shoot on the
> > other foot too, use an image of Google and use onclick for it to open

the
> > new window instead of ugly links.
> >
> > --
> > Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
> > Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
> >

> Thank you for answering my question
>
> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

Cause it usually irritates the crap out of me. Unless I find ur page really
interesting I usually dont bother with sites that have links like that.

John Doe

Après mure réflexion, "John Doe" a écrit :
> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9404A89A972A4jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..

>>> Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

>> Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?
>>
>> Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the
>> foot? To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this
>> particular thing is not possible in HTML but could be done in
>> JavaScript. To shoot on the other foot too, use an image of
>> Google and use onclick for it to open the new window instead of
>> ugly links.

> Thank you for answering my question
>
> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

Well links to websites in windows without any navigation
buttons are really annoying, and I don't stay there very
long. Anyway when I find one, I disable javascript only to
have menus and buttons.

--
SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net

Whitecrest

In article <3f76ea2f$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Thank you for answering my question
> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

Because some "experts" are really anal about their browsers. Where the
general public could care less. Proof of this is the fact that more
than 80% of the public uses IE when there are other (disputed) better
browsers out there.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

SeeSchloss

"John Doe" a pensé très fort :
> "SeeSchloss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mesnews.e3e67d39.969ae726.93.1389@seeschloss. net...
>> Après mure réflexion, "John Doe" a écrit :
>>> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns9404A89A972A4jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..

>>> Thank you for answering my question
>>>
>>> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

>> Well links to websites in windows without any navigation
>> buttons are really annoying, and I don't stay there very
>> long. Anyway when I find one, I disable javascript only to
>> have menus and buttons.

> Well I was gonna use it to open a window with a series of
> pictures with a last picture, next picture and close window
> button included. Anyway, it was just a though.

Well do what you want, but I just let you know that I don't
like it too much and won't help you to do it

--
SeeSchloß - http://gpu.sourceforge.net

PeterMcC

Whitecrest wrote:
> In article <3f76ea2f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Thank you for answering my question
>> Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

> Because some "experts" are really anal about their browsers. Where
> the general public could care less. Proof of this is the fact that
> more than 80% of the public uses IE when there are other (disputed)
> better browsers out there.

You may well be right about new windows, I don't know; however, the fact
that more than 80% of the public uses IE, inferior browser or not, isn't
very convincing as a proof that new windows are a good thing.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

John Doe

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9404A89A972A4jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..
> SeeSchloss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> Say I have a link like this

> >> How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go
> >> back\go forward buttons ?
> >>
> >> Cheers

> > Why the hell do you want to remove the menus ??

> Who knows what John Doe has got in his www.google.com file?
>
> Aren't we expected to help people to shoot theirselves on the foot?
> To be really helpful in that, we should advice that this particular thing
> is not possible in HTML but could be done in JavaScript. To shoot on the
> other foot too, use an image of Google and use onclick for it to open the
> new window instead of ugly links.

Thank you for answering my question

Btw, why do you think this is such a bad idea ?

Daniel R. Tobias

John Doe wrote:

> Say I have a link like this

It would open up a local document on your server with the filename
"www.google.com" or give a 404 Not Found error if none existed (assuming
your server is configured in a typical manner). If you want to have a
link to the actual Google site, you'd need to include the "http://" part.

> How can I open this in a new window without the menu's and go back\go
> forward buttons ?

How can I stay the hell away from annoying sites like yours that want to
do stuff like that?

--
== Dan ==