Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Open link in new window and the window is small

Open link in new window and the window is small

Freshman

Hi

How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
be, but the window is supposed to be small.

TIA

rf

"Freshman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b5zdb.1652$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it

should
> be, but the window is supposed to be small.

Hmmm. Could you specify exactly how small, or big, you want this window to
be? Small? Smaller? Smallest?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Cheers
Richard.

brucie

In post <b5zdb.1652$(E-Mail Removed)>
Freshman said...

[Open link in new window and the window is small]

> How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
> be, but the window is supposed to be small.

you don't need to know how to do that. allow the visitor the choice of
opening a new window or not. if they choose to do so they can size the
window to their own preference.

--
28/September/2003 09:33:27 pm

Freshman

Yes, I think you're probably right actually. Sorry I think my brain was on
standby mode earlier.

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)-html.org> wrote in message
news:98i7y5pilxzh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <b5zdb.1652$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Freshman said...
>
> [Open link in new window and the window is small]
>
> > How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it

should
> > be, but the window is supposed to be small.

> you don't need to know how to do that. allow the visitor the choice of
> opening a new window or not. if they choose to do so they can size the
> window to their own preference.
>
> --
> 28/September/2003 09:33:27 pm

DU

brucie wrote:

> In post <b5zdb.1652$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Freshman said...
>
> [Open link in new window and the window is small]
>

>>How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
>>be, but the window is supposed to be small.

> you don't need to know how to do that. allow the visitor the choice of
> opening a new window or not.

A good coding of secondary windows will not limit the user's choices and
value would.

if they choose to do so they can size the
> window to their own preference.

I agree with you on granting all the time window resizability to
secondary windows but the creation and opening of such secondary window
will still need to have initial dimensions. If and since such window
will be resizable, then why not provide initial window dimensions which
are likely to make sense for the user?

The FAQ is wrong in a few spots IMO:
Why is Javascript so evil?
"Windows presized to some size the user don't want."
http://www.html-faq.com/scriptingbas...vascriptisevil

I think we need to create a page where all these answers (which repeat
themselves all the time, every week) could be found so that we can
direct people to such page. My feeling is that regulars of both alt.html
and comp.lang.javascript need to create a competition to crummy, crappy,
Krusty-the-clown scripts found at javascript copy-N-paste sites.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

DU

Freshman wrote:

> Hi
>
> How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
> be, but the window is supposed to be small.
>
> TIA

The smaller a secondary window is, the less relevant and the less
justified it is to create it: the more an alternative to secondary
window should be considered. The code (in the browser executable)
involved to open a single secondary window ranges from 2000 lines to
4000 lines of C++ and involve all kinds of code branchings, functions,
many library calls, multiple security checking, memory management.

If you normally (per your own website analysis) expect a secondary
window to exist for the user no more than 2 sec., then maybe you should
not resort to a secondary window. It does not seem justify to use system
resources for so little.

If you're going to create a secondary window, then the user ought to
know in advance about this and it ought to be justified too from a
website perspective, from an usability, accessibility and user system
resources perspectives.

DU