Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > help! dreamweaver!

help! dreamweaver!

Bart van den Burg

Can someone please help me out here?

I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm always
writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.

So, what's the problem, you're wondering, well: I'm in this new school now,
where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to learn
DreamWeaver in one of my classes. I've never used any Macromedia products,
because I've always hated the (sorry if this is offending to anyone, but
it's my opinion anyway) crap it produces!

Well anyway, I asked my teacher if it was possible for me not to follow this
class.
At first he asked: well, don't you have to be able to write webpages?
I answered: I write W3C validated XHTML...
He asked, ok, so shouldn't you know about templates, so you don't have to
rewrite every page on a layout redesign?
I answered: Nope, almost everything I write is server-side
Then he said: Ok, maybe you could stop following this class, but you should
realize that about 80% of the website companies work with this program and
won't have much use of you if you don't know how to work with it.

Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really learn
DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if this study
is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a tech-person
like me...

Anyway, if anyone can give me his/her opinion on this all, i'd be thankful

Bart

Nico Schuyt

Bart van den Burg wrote:
> I'm in this new school now,
> where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to

learn
> DreamWeaver in one of my classes.
> Should I really learn DreamWeaver to get companies
> to want me?

Of course. You must be able to use the tools a company applies. DW shouldn't
be a problem for you.

> Also, I'm wondering if
> this study is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for
> a tech-person like me...

You have to decide for yourself. But why started you such a study if your
not creative???

Regards, Nico

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Bart van den Burg"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:bl4peg$9bj$(E-Mail Removed):

> Can someone please help me out here?
>
> I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm always
> writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>
> So, what's the problem, you're wondering, well: I'm in this new school
> now, where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required
> to learn DreamWeaver in one of my classes. I've never used any
> Macromedia products, because I've always hated the (sorry if this is
> offending to anyone, but it's my opinion anyway) crap it produces!
>
> Well anyway, I asked my teacher if it was possible for me not to follow
> this class.
> At first he asked: well, don't you have to be able to write webpages?
> I answered: I write W3C validated XHTML...
> He asked, ok, so shouldn't you know about templates, so you don't have
> to rewrite every page on a layout redesign?
> I answered: Nope, almost everything I write is server-side
> Then he said: Ok, maybe you could stop following this class, but you
> should realize that about 80% of the website companies work with this
> program and won't have much use of you if you don't know how to work
> with it.
>
> Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really
> learn DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if
> this study is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a
> tech-person like me...
>
> Anyway, if anyone can give me his/her opinion on this all, i'd be
> thankful
>
> Bart

Humor him. You can always go into code mode, nobody the wiser. Besides,
it might be fun to learn a new way of doing things. Maybe you can even
give some pointers.

I've been in this position myself. I had to attend a telephone system
class, and although I knew more than the teacher, I still picked up a few
things that served me well later.
--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Bart van den Burg

> > where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to

> learn
> > DreamWeaver in one of my classes.
> > Should I really learn DreamWeaver to get companies
> > to want me?

> Of course. You must be able to use the tools a company applies. DW

shouldn't
> be a problem for you.
>
> > Also, I'm wondering if
> > this study is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for
> > a tech-person like me...

> You have to decide for yourself. But why started you such a study if your
> not creative???

Actually, I was hoping to become a little more creative, but now that the
schoolyear has started... I'm not really sure anymore.

I guess I should be learning dreamweaver then... even tho the fact that it
(the version I'm using anyway) uses attributes instead of style attributes
way too often scares the hell out of me

I'll just see what comes from it. I'll just follow the lessons, and try to
evaluate for myself if this study is right for me...

thanks Nico & Adrienne

Matthias Gutfeldt

Bart van den Burg schrieb:

> Can someone please help me out here?
>
> I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm always
> writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>
> Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really learn
> DreamWeaver to get companies to want me?

The problem is that the folks hiring you are often clueless managers
that wouldn't know tag soup from pot noodles. So they just write in
their ads whatever the management magazine tells them is the latest and
greatest software.

That said, many companies do indeed use Dreamweaver, and if you want to
work with such a company, you'll have to learn it. But it's no big deal.
And DW is actually quite a good tool, IMHO - but there are dozens of
threads on the subject of DW already .

> Also, I'm wondering if this study is the best for me, since
> maybe it's a bit to creative for a tech-person like me...

School already started? You're a bit late for this question . Just
learn as much as you can. You don't have to be "creative" to learn the
techniques and methodologies of design.

Matthias

Kevin Scholl

Bart van den Burg wrote:

> Can someone please help me out here?
>
> I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm always
> writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>
> So, what's the problem, you're wondering, well: I'm in this new school now,
> where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to learn
> DreamWeaver in one of my classes. I've never used any Macromedia products,
> because I've always hated the (sorry if this is offending to anyone, but
> it's my opinion anyway) crap it produces!

Bearing in mind that a couple minutes in the Preferences reduces such
"crap" to almost, if not completely, nil. Of course, this is entirely
dependent on what you're doing with the app (see further below).

> Well anyway, I asked my teacher if it was possible for me not to follow this
> class.
> At first he asked: well, don't you have to be able to write webpages?
> I answered: I write W3C validated XHTML...

Dreamweaver MX and MX 2004 can do so.

> He asked, ok, so shouldn't you know about templates, so you don't have to
> rewrite every page on a layout redesign?
> I answered: Nope, almost everything I write is server-side

Which, I'll agree, is usually better done by hand or with specialized
editors. Dreamweaver can generate some very tidy and compliant (X)HTML,
but its native client-side and server code can leave a bit to be desired.

> Then he said: Ok, maybe you could stop following this class, but you should
> realize that about 80% of the website companies work with this program and
> won't have much use of you if you don't know how to work with it.
>
> Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really learn
> DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if this study
> is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a tech-person
> like me...

Generally, no. Most companies will be more interested that you can
successfully complete the work in a reasonable amount of time, not so
much what you use to do it. That said, it's not a bad idea for you to
have an understanding of how Dreamweaver operates and what it generates.
It *is* pretty much recognized as the industry standard, so you're
ability to work with what it produces can only increase your viability,
particularly if you'll have to work with those who do everyting through
the application.

> Anyway, if anyone can give me his/her opinion on this all, i'd be thankful

Kevin Scholl
Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
the dreams...

Nicolai P. Zwar

Bart van den Burg wrote:

> Can someone please help me out here?
>
> I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm always
> writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>
> So, what's the problem, you're wondering, well: I'm in this new school now,
> where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to learn
> DreamWeaver in one of my classes. I've never used any Macromedia products,
> because I've always hated the (sorry if this is offending to anyone, but
> it's my opinion anyway) crap it produces!
>
> Well anyway, I asked my teacher if it was possible for me not to follow this
> class.
> At first he asked: well, don't you have to be able to write webpages?
> I answered: I write W3C validated XHTML...
> He asked, ok, so shouldn't you know about templates, so you don't have to
> rewrite every page on a layout redesign?
> I answered: Nope, almost everything I write is server-side
> Then he said: Ok, maybe you could stop following this class, but you should
> realize that about 80% of the website companies work with this program and
> won't have much use of you if you don't know how to work with it.
>
> Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really learn
> DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if this study
> is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a tech-person
> like me...

Dreamweaver is the commercial web editor most commonly used in ad
agencies and the like, so if you intend to work in the creative field,
it's good but by no means mandatory to have some basic knowledge about
how this tool functions, to have an idea about what it can and cannot
do. However, if you know your way around HTML and CSS, you need not
worry about your Dreamweaver abilities, though you should know about
Flash and how to use and implement it. I have never heard of a company
that insists you code your HTML in one particular tool and one tool only.
If you do want to work in the creative field, though, be prepared that
producing strict and validating code will usually not be your prime
objective. Though it's a nice bonus.

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com

Richard

Bart wrote:

> Can someone please help me out here?

> I've been working with HTML since I was 12, and by now (19), I'm
> always
> writing my pages 100% validated XHTML 1.0 Strict.

> So, what's the problem, you're wondering, well: I'm in this new school
> now,
> where I'm studying "Digital Media Design", and there, I'm required to
> learn
> DreamWeaver in one of my classes. I've never used any Macromedia
> products,
> because I've always hated the (sorry if this is offending to anyone,
> but
> it's my opinion anyway) crap it produces!

> Well anyway, I asked my teacher if it was possible for me not to
> follow this
> class.
> At first he asked: well, don't you have to be able to write webpages?
> I answered: I write W3C validated XHTML...
> He asked, ok, so shouldn't you know about templates, so you don't have
> rewrite every page on a layout redesign?
> I answered: Nope, almost everything I write is server-side
> Then he said: Ok, maybe you could stop following this class, but you
> should
> realize that about 80% of the website companies work with this program
> and
> won't have much use of you if you don't know how to work with it.

> Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really
> learn
> DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if this
> study
> is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a
> tech-person
> like me...

> Anyway, if anyone can give me his/her opinion on this all, i'd be
> thankful

> Bart

How'd you learn to write html to begin with or were you just born into it?
A 12 year old writes server side stuff the first day in class? I don't think
so.
Ok so you learn how to use the program. Nobody says you have to use it
elsewhere.
Quite frankly, I think DW is over inflated on steroids.
What can it do that you can't do with any other coding program?
Who needs a program?
All that matters in html is that the coding is valid, the page works the way
it was designed to and people come back.
Why pay hundreds of bucks for something exotic when a freeware program works
just the same?

I took a computer class one time and wound up knowing a lot more than the
teacher did.
At that time BASIC was the in thing. Yeah, I know, you're to young to know
all the fun we had with BASIC.
But I still took the class and did learn a few new things.
One thing that royally ticked me off though was, the teacher didn't
understand the simplest things about BASIC.
She didn't know what a semicolon was for after a print statement.
She didn't understand why the syntax of - if a<>b and c<>d then do this -
doesn't work.
When I said I knew why, she told me not to be teaching the class.
So I let her figure it out on her own. Then told the other student later why
it wouldn't work.

His statement that "80% of web companies use it", is probably hyper
propaganda put out by DW.

Now why are you afraid to learn new tricks young grasshopper?

Mark Jones

"Bart van den Burg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl4peg$9bj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, basically, my question is: is the latter true? Should I really learn
> DreamWeaver to get companies to want me? Also, I'm wondering if this study
> is the best for me, since maybe it's a bit to creative for a tech-person
> like me...

I am an electronics engineer by education and have been doing
software development for over 20 years. I can easily hand
write a web page, but I prefer to use DreamWeaver.

Just because a person is a techie doesn't have to mean that
they can't learn to use DreamWeaver. I use it to do a lot of
server side development with no problems at all.

Mark Jones

"Bart van den Burg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl4tbq$jp5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I guess I should be learning dreamweaver then... even tho the fact that it
> (the version I'm using anyway) uses attributes instead of style attributes
> way too often scares the hell out of me

Any version of DreamWeaver can be used to create CSS
based pages and server side code. Use the code window
for those things that can be hand written faster than DW
can create the markup.