Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <link> or @import ?

<link> or @import ?

Marc

When implementing stylesheets, is it best to use the <link> property, or the
@import CSS?

Marc

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

In post <bku6n3$62ekl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Marc said...

> When implementing stylesheets, is it best to use the <link> property, or the
> @import CSS?

it depends on what you're doing. the most common use of @import is to
hide incorrectly implemented CSS from IE4/NS4/O5 as they don't support
@import so you can take advantage of that to present one type of CSS
for them and different CSS for other browsers. but there are so few
users of those browsers theses days its not really worth the effort.

--
25/September/2003 05:54:12 pm

Marc

> > When implementing stylesheets, is it best to use the <link> property, or
the
> > @import CSS?

> it depends on what you're doing. the most common use of @import is to
> hide incorrectly implemented CSS from IE4/NS4/O5 as they don't support
> @import so you can take advantage of that to present one type of CSS
> for them and different CSS for other browsers. but there are so few
> users of those browsers theses days its not really worth the effort.

In that case, as my XHTML works fine with no CSS, albeit looking somewhat
plain, I guess I could just use the @import method, and not bother with a
<link> with the thought process that although the page looks crummy in
IE4/NS4/O5 it *will* work, and those browsers are very rare now. That sound
like a good plan?

Marc

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

In post <bku8he$5s2cs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Marc said...

>> it depends on what you're doing. the most common use of @import is to
>> hide incorrectly implemented CSS from IE4/NS4/O5 as they don't support
>> @import so you can take advantage of that to present one type of CSS
>> for them and different CSS for other browsers. but there are so few
>> users of those browsers theses days its not really worth the effort.

> In that case, as my XHTML works fine with no CSS, albeit looking somewhat
> plain, I guess I could just use the @import method, and not bother with a
> <link> with the thought process that although the page looks crummy in
> IE4/NS4/O5 it *will* work, and those browsers are very rare now. That sound
> like a good plan?

sounds good to me.

How to hide CSS from buggy browsers
http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/