Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Switching to Linux...

Switching to Linux...

Leif K-Brooks

I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
long-lost. Any suggestions?

Andy Holmes

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
> problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
> could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
> long-lost. Any suggestions?

The only way I've found is to dual boot. If you find another way I would
certainly be interested in it myself.

-Andy

Kae Verens

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
> problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
> could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
> long-lost. Any suggestions?

don't? nah - that's not good enough... I get enough flack from my
co-workers for not using "what the clients use" (even if one of those
co-workers doing the shouting uses IE5 for Mac...).

try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
developers (and help out when they're stuck).

Kae

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed) >
Leif K-Brooks said...

http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin50/

--
24/September/2003 06:50:39 pm

rf

"Kae Verens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rNccb.33096$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not a
> designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
> developers (and help out when they're stuck).

Er, isn't there an oxymoron in here somewhere?

Cheers
Richard.

Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
> problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
> could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
> long-lost. Any suggestions?

A lot of people seem to have success with Linux on dual boot disks, but
I never got the puppy stable until I let it have it's own playground.
Be sure to boot Linux from floppy or CD until you really understand
LILO! (It takes hardly more time to boot this way.)

Leif K-Brooks

Kae Verens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<rNccb.33096$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
> handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
> designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
> developers (and help out when they're stuck).

Doubt it, IE is built into the whole darn OS...

Roland Seuhs

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Kae Verens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<rNccb.33096$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
>> handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
>> designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
>> developers (and help out when they're stuck).

> Doubt it, IE is built into the whole darn OS...

In court and under oath, yes.

In real life, IE is just another app like any other, I got it running under
Crossover Office (costs 50$) and it should run under Wine, too.

The only problem I had was that it couldn't display png files, other than
that it worked OK.

--
The Consultant's Curse:
When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

Mark Nobles

In article <Tddcb.1712$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
> > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
> > could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
> > long-lost. Any suggestions?

> A lot of people seem to have success with Linux on dual boot disks, but
> I never got the puppy stable until I let it have it's own playground.
> Be sure to boot Linux from floppy or CD until you really understand
> LILO! (It takes hardly more time to boot this way.)

Buy yourself a second HD and stick it in your box. You can get a 2 GB
drive, big enough to hold even Windows, for $1 on eBay if that's all
you need it for.

Kae Verens

rf wrote:
> "Kae Verens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rNccb.33096$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>I'm not a
>>designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
>>developers (and help out when they're stuck).

> Er, isn't there an oxymoron in here somewhere?

yeah - me - deprive me of oxygen (got hayfever), and I'm a moron.

I leave design problems to the designers, and point out the errors in
their code when they're stuck.

Kae