Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > A table with a left border

A table with a left border

Peddler

Hello all:

I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide. It
is formatted like the following example:

My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
containing text how to get both to match in length?

Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

this contains text and etc.

balance of page is formatted here

Els

Peddler wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide. It
> is formatted like the following example:
>
> My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> containing text how to get both to match in length?
>
> Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

> this contains text and etc.

> balance of page is formatted here

I'm not sure I understand your question, but what I am
pretty sure of, is that 15% plus 100% is too much.

The second <td> can only have width 85 % to fill up 100% of
the table's width.

(But I still don't understand your question.)

--
Els

Mente humana como pra-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

Kae Verens

Peddler wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide. It
> is formatted like the following example:
>
> My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> containing text how to get both to match in length?
>
> Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

> this contains text and etc.

> balance of page is formatted here

why are you placing a second table within the first?

this contains txt, etc.
balance of page is formatted here

although - that's the pre-1999 method of layout. Try one of the layouts
at http://glish.com/css/

Kae

Richard

Peddler wrote:

> Hello all:

> I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15%
> wide. It
> is formatted like the following example:

> My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> containing text how to get both to match in length?

> Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

Having one row and two columns, one table can not be 100% of anything.
If cell 1 is 15% witdth of the screen, then cell 2 MUST be 85% or less.
85%
+ 15%
-----------
100%

Capice? Simple math.

Peddler

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkiese$i2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peddler wrote:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide.

It
> > is formatted like the following example:
> >
> > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> > containing text how to get both to match in length?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

> > this contains text and etc.

> > balance of page is formatted here
> >

> I'm not sure I understand your question, but what I am
> pretty sure of, is that 15% plus 100% is too much.
>
> The second <td> can only have width 85 % to fill up 100% of
> the table's width.
>
> (But I still don't understand your question.)
>
> --
> Els
>
> Mente humana como pra-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td> the
balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
incorrect?

Thanks.

The Peddler

Peddler

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peddler wrote:
>
> > Hello all:

> > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15%
> > wide. It
> > is formatted like the following example:

> > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> > containing text how to get both to match in length?

> > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

> Having one row and two columns, one table can not be 100% of anything.
> If cell 1 is 15% witdth of the screen, then cell 2 MUST be 85% or less.
> 85%
> + 15%
> -----------
> 100%
>
> Capice? Simple math.

It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td> the
balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
incorrect?

Thanks.

The Peddler

Peddler

"Kae Verens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newssdbb.32557$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peddler wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15% wide.

It
> > is formatted like the following example:
> >
> > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> > containing text how to get both to match in length?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

> > this contains text and etc.

> > balance of page is formatted here

> why are you placing a second table within the first?

> this contains txt, etc.
> balance of page is formatted here
>
> although - that's the pre-1999 method of layout. Try one of the layouts
> at http://glish.com/css/
>
> Kae

Thanks for the css tip.

The balance of page or second column requires it to be formatted using an
additional table.

Thanks.

The Peddler

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Peddler" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:UZ2cb.557602$Ho3.97109@sccrnsc03:

> It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td>

the
> balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
> incorrect?
>
> Thanks.

No, 15 + 100 = 115 and 100 - 15 = 85

The screen is irrelavent. I might have a browser open, an email client
open, a image editor open, etc. Additionally, I might have a history
panel open in my browser, and I might be using a few tool bars in my
browser as well, all affecting the size of the window.

The window is 100% - the first td is 15%, which leaves 85% remaining for
the second td.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Martijn

"Peddler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<UZ2cb.560215$o%2.245415@sccrnsc02>...
> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Peddler wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all:

> > > I have several page containing tables with a left side border 15%
> > > wide. It
> > > is formatted like the following example:

> > > My question, when the balance of page is longer that the left side
> > > containing text how to get both to match in length?

> > > Thanks for any advice. The Peddler

> > Having one row and two columns, one table can not be 100% of anything.
> > If cell 1 is 15% witdth of the screen, then cell 2 MUST be 85% or less.
> > 85%
> > + 15%
> > -----------
> > 100%
> >
> > Capice? Simple math.
> >

> It is my understanding when a width of 15% is used for the first <td> the
> balance of the screen for the second <td> would be 100% not 85%. Is this
> incorrect?
>
> Thanks.
>
> The Peddler

align

Peddler

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

The Peddler