Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How can I let somebody print only one copy of something?

How can I let somebody print only one copy of something?

BruceJ

I am looking for a way to let somebody print a ticket, but only once. How
can I do that? I am a novice, so please help....

Bruce

brucie

In post <Y9Oab.521425$Ho3.87498@sccrnsc03>
BruceJ said...

> I am looking for a way to let somebody print a ticket, but only once. How
> can I do that?

you cant. once anything is downloaded the visitor can do whatever they
feel like with it.

Dylan Parry

BruceJ wrote:

> I am looking for a way to let somebody print a ticket, but only once. How
> can I do that? I am a novice, so please help....

What are the tickets for? Perhaps you could have each one given a number
that no other ticket has - done using a database and PHP (or similar), and
each person has to register for a ticket maybe? That way, although they
might be able to print off more than one copy you would know which
tickets belonged to which person and only allow one of each number - if
you see what I mean?

There is no way of physically stopping the visitor from printing multiple
copies.

--
Dylan Parry

andy johnson

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:35:53 GMT, "BruceJ"
<oe<nospam>@connecting4income.com> wrote:

>I am looking for a way to let somebody print a ticket, but only once. How
>can I do that? I am a novice, so please help....
>
>Bruce

What you are actually needing to look for is how to print a unique bar
code. Think on-line movie tickets. Let 'em print as many as they want,
the reader will update a database when the patron uses the ticket,
effectively rendering any other copy void.

-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)