Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Question on Accessing IFRAME documents

Reply
Thread Tools

Question on Accessing IFRAME documents

 
 
news.frontiernet.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2003
I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
are displayed as a list.

I would like to display each topic on that main document in an IFRAME on
mouse-over of the topic.

But, I also need to access each topic document as a link. This is the
challenge.

There was a way with Javascript to target a frame and have the shell come up
too. So, I am hoping there is some way to do this same whing with documents
in an IFRAME structure.

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

For example, the main host document is recreation.htm. Among the topics on
that main document are golf.htm and tennis.htm. THese two doeumtns were
full HTML documents with headers and footers of their own. I can make these
appear in an IFRAME on recreation.htm. But if I need to be able to link
directly to the topic of golf or tennis. The material to be displayed in the
IFRAME cannot repeat the page headers again that are already on the
recreation.htm document., so the golf.htm and tennis.htm documents will NOT
HAVE HEADERS.

However, to be considerate to visitors needs for navigation, I do not want
to have these headerless and footerless documents to display outside of the
IFRAME environment of the main document recreation.htm which does have the
headers and and footers..

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?

Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2003
news.frontiernet.net wrote:

> I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
> separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
> are displayed as a list.
>


In which newsgroupS do you want to get an answer? Why did you need to
multi-post your question? Why didn't you just post in a single newsgroup?

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/
- Resources, help and tips for Netscape 7.x users and Composer
- Interactive demos on Popup windows, music (audio/midi) in Netscape 7.x
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
news.frontiernet.net wrote:
> Obviously because I am not sure if the solution is HTML or Javascript. So,
> it requires posting to each of the groups.
>


Where do you want people to answer you? In which newsgroup(s)? Why did
you need to multi-post your question? Why didn't you just cross-post
instead?

Can you at the very least answer these questions in each and all of the
newsgroups where you posted your problem? At the very least, this is
what you should do. Don't just answer here but in each and all other
newsgroups too. Otherwise, the others won't know at all what they should do.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/
- Resources, help and tips for Netscape 7.x users and Composer
- Interactive demos on Popup windows, music (audio/midi) in Netscape 7.x
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
news frontiernet.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
I want an answer to my question either from someone in the HTML group who
knows of an HTML answer, but may not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or
from someone who does visit the Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML
newsgroup and who has a Javascript method to solve this problem.

All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting are worthless towards
the goal of getting an answer.

You asked me why I posted in both groups. I answered you.

If you have an idea of how to cause one of a choice of documents to load in
an Iframe when a document like recreation.html is linked to from another
document, then please share it.

"DU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkgar9$sl1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.frontiernet.net wrote:
> > Obviously because I am not sure if the solution is HTML or Javascript.

So,
> > it requires posting to each of the groups.
> >

>
> Where do you want people to answer you? In which newsgroup(s)? Why did
> you need to multi-post your question? Why didn't you just cross-post
> instead?
>
> Can you at the very least answer these questions in each and all of the
> newsgroups where you posted your problem? At the very least, this is
> what you should do. Don't just answer here but in each and all other
> newsgroups too. Otherwise, the others won't know at all what they should

do.
>
> DU
> --
> Javascript and Browser bugs:
> http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/
> - Resources, help and tips for Netscape 7.x users and Composer
> - Interactive demos on Popup windows, music (audio/midi) in Netscape 7.x
> http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
In post <PnRab.275$(E-Mail Removed)>
news frontiernet.net said...

> I want an answer to my question


then pay someone

> either from someone in the HTML group who knows of an HTML answer, but may
> not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or from someone who does visit the
> Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML newsgroup and who has a Javascript
> method to solve this problem.
>
> All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting


you forgot topposting

> are worthless towards the goal of getting an answer.


i disagree. as soon as your post arrived it was highlighted as someone
who topposts so i didn't bother wasting my time supplying the answer.
your loss.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Whitecrest
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
In article <ELIab.246$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
> with that topic already in the IFRAME?


Yes, look at the DOM different IFrames can easily talk to each other.
they can also check to see if they are being launched in an iframe so
you can put the headers there if they are linked to directly.

> If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?


this link may help get you started:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html


--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
news frontiernet.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
Thanks! I will print and read this material.

"Whitecrest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ELIab.246$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell

display
> > with that topic already in the IFRAME?

>
> Yes, look at the DOM different IFrames can easily talk to each other.
> they can also check to see if they are being launched in an iframe so
> you can put the headers there if they are linked to directly.
>
> > If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is

done?
>
> this link may help get you started:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html
>
>
> --
> Whitecrest Entertainment
> www.whitecrestent.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
news frontiernet.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
Some people choose to top post, others choose to bottom post.

I notice you have interspersed your posting of answers under each of my
statements you wish to take issue with. You own actions are NEITHER top
posting nor bottom posting?

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)-html.org> wrote in message
news:4xx826mrxawc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <PnRab.275$(E-Mail Removed)>
> news frontiernet.net said...
>
> > I want an answer to my question

>
> then pay someone
>
> > either from someone in the HTML group who knows of an HTML answer, but

may
> > not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or from someone who does visit

the
> > Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML newsgroup and who has a Javascript
> > method to solve this problem.
> >
> > All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting

>
> you forgot topposting
>
> > are worthless towards the goal of getting an answer.

>
> i disagree. as soon as your post arrived it was highlighted as someone
> who topposts so i didn't bother wasting my time supplying the answer.
> your loss.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Isofarro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
news frontiernet.net wrote:

> Some people choose to top post,


So you are deliberately choosing not to communicate in an effective manner.

*plonk*



--
Iso.
FAQs: http://html-faq.com http://alt-html.org http://allmyfaqs.com/
Recommended Hosting: http://www.affordablehost.com/
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2003
news frontiernet.net wrote:

> I notice you have interspersed your posting of answers under each of my
> statements you wish to take issue with. You own actions are NEITHER top
> posting nor bottom posting?


Yes -- brucie's posting style isn't "top posting" or "bottom posting".
It's "proper posting".

Unlike yours. *plonk* as well.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?id=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iframe and Word documents Thomas Scheiderich HTML 20 04-15-2011 06:27 AM
Office 2007 documents not appearing in iframe =?Utf-8?B?VA==?= ASP .Net 4 03-06-2007 11:57 AM
No more stuff on C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\ craigkenisston@hotmail.com ASP .Net 1 10-18-2006 03:31 PM
Get form values from iframe (1) to iframe (2) inside a layer in iframe (1) Daedalous Javascript 3 01-16-2004 11:08 AM



Advertisments