Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > I have a virus... help...

I have a virus... help...

eve

looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.

Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
really need it to be free or warez....

thanks so much!!
eve

={ Advocated }=

"eve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
> Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as

ALOT
> of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
> almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
>
> Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone

now...
> don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus

program
> to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so

> really need it to be free or warez....
>
> thanks so much!!
> eve

me too

PeterMcC

eve wrote:
> looks like I have 'Swen'.

No you haven't - or at least what you have described doesn't suggest you
have.

Other people have it and it's replicating through email address books and
the like. Your email address is out there in address books and that's where
it's been picked up. Some of the emails you get will probably be "bounced"
returns of messages that you are supposed to have sent - don't worry, you
didn't send them. The virus picks out random addresses to put in the "From"
field and when the messages are bounced, they go back to the person whose
address was inserted and you'll get bounces back from the ones that happened
to use yours.

Ignore the emails, the information in them is a deliberate deception, the
"patch" is the virus - I'm assuming that you have an up to date virus
checker and it's neutralising the virus.

Spare a thought for those of us who are seeing 1,000+ of these things per
day

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

PeterMcC

={ Advocated }= wrote:
> "eve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails
>> about a Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so)
>> as well as ALOT of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable
>> e-mail.... xxxx varies, almost always a weird e-mail, and I never
>> tried to e-mail this person.

> me too

The correct markup for that expression is <aol>Me too</aol>

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Hywel Jenkins

In article <iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
> Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
> of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
> almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
>
> Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
> don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
> to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
> really need it to be free or warez....

You probably can't fix it with HTML, and the fact that you ask for a
warez solution indicates that you're not taking the issue seriously.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "eve" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
in news:iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02:

Try http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

PeterMcC

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> In article <iEGab.521011$o%2.227809@sccrnsc02>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails
>> about a Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so)
>> as well as ALOT of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable
>> e-mail.... xxxx varies, almost always a weird e-mail, and I never
>> tried to e-mail this person.
>>
>> Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone
>> now... don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a
>> virus program to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks?
>> I have NO money, so I really need it to be free or warez....
>>

> You probably can't fix it with HTML, and the fact that you ask for a
> warez solution indicates that you're not taking the issue seriously.

I didn't really register that when I looked at the OP - thanks Hywel.

It's also worth mentioning that if you run warez, you're asking for
malicious code - why go to the trouble of stopping email virus attacks and
then voluntarily go and put software on your computer that has been cracked
by some of the same people who write viruses in the first place. If you
could crack software, wouldn't you be tempted to put your own little
something in there?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

kayodeok

"eve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is
> gone now... don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where
> to get a virus program to stop this, as well as protect from
> future attacks?

Free Antivirus Software for Home Users:

Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/
Windows Resources

David Graham

"PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IMGab.7696$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> eve wrote:
> > looks like I have 'Swen'.

> No you haven't - or at least what you have described doesn't suggest you
> have.
>
> Other people have it and it's replicating through email address books and
> the like. Your email address is out there in address books and that's

where
> it's been picked up. Some of the emails you get will probably be "bounced"
> returns of messages that you are supposed to have sent - don't worry, you
> didn't send them. The virus picks out random addresses to put in the

"From"
> field and when the messages are bounced, they go back to the person whose
> address was inserted and you'll get bounces back from the ones that

happened
> to use yours.
>
> Ignore the emails, the information in them is a deliberate deception, the
> "patch" is the virus - I'm assuming that you have an up to date virus
> checker and it's neutralising the virus.
>
> Spare a thought for those of us who are seeing 1,000+ of these things per
> day

Hi
I am getting 90+ a day. I also get a message that is legitimate stating that
my mail box is over the high threshold (75% full). If my mail box becomes
full will I start to lose mail and will my ISP take any sort of action
against me for having an overflowing box full of rubbish. I think the ISP
host should and could be able to stop this malicious set of emails. I have
mailwasher set up with filters to catch the 'micorsoft' bit in the from
field but that doesn't stop these emails filling up my email box, it just
prevents me wasting time down loading them. Is the only answer to abandon my
email address in favour of a new one. If this is the best course of action,
do I need to let my ISP know that my old email address is now dead and not
to keep sending me warnings about it being full?
thanks
david

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:02:06 GMT, "eve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:
: looks like I have 'Swen'. I am constantly getting these e-mails about a
: Microsoft critical update, (about 20 in the last day or so) as well as ALOT
: of e-mails saying that xxxxx is not a deliverable e-mail.... xxxx varies,
: almost always a weird e-mail, and I never tried to e-mail this person.
:
: Well, I thought I had a virus program on my computer, but It is gone now...
: don't know how that happened. Does anyone know where to get a virus program
: to stop this, as well as protect from future attacks? I have NO money, so I
: really need it to be free or warez....

Check your hard disk regularly with Panda. Link here:
http://www.elsid.co.za/download/index.html

Sid