Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Downloads

Downloads

NAZGUL

I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
does not try and grab it at once?

Sid Ismail

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:46:00 GMT, "NAZGUL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
: people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
: does not try and grab it at once?
:

Imagine CNN and Google having a queue for viewers! Mayhem! You're
negating the purpose of the Internet if you want to queue.

Sid

Richard

NAZGUL wrote:

> I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so
> that
> people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that
> everyone
> does not try and grab it at once?

If you're speaking of ftp stuff, you'd need a program to handle the number
of simultaneous logins.
if you have cpanel, look for "ftp manager", that will allow you to set the
controls.

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
> people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
> does not try and grab it at once?

You'll need to assign an ID to each user that attempts a download, store
that in the database, then have the page they're looking at refresh
every so often to check whether they're able to download. You'll also
need to consider what happens when your visitors leave without
downloading the file because they can't be arsed to wait.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Chris Morris

"NAZGUL" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I was wondering how do you go about having a queue system for files so that
> people have to wait for a slot before downloading a file so that everyone
> does not try and grab it at once?

Have a script that locks a database table or another file, echos out
the file for download after setting correct content-type headers, then
unlocks the table. Anyone trying to download while the script is
running will wait at the lock until the first script unlocks it
(automatic on exit, in most systems).

Not useful (at least, not without modification) if
you want more than 1 but less than X simultaneous downloads, though.

I'm not sure that it's particularly useful at all, though.

--
Chris

downloads steve Firefox 1 01-27-2005 02:56 AM
Extensions Downloads Compatible with Firefox 1.0 Reg Mouatt Firefox 2 11-06-2004 10:32 AM
batch downloads with firefox? Dennis J. Tuchler Firefox 4 07-15-2004 06:42 PM
Simultaneous downloads Tx2 Firefox 2 07-04-2004 06:44 PM
Mozilla Downloads - Single or Multiple joe webb Firefox 4 02-13-2004 06:29 AM

Advertisments