Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HOWTO: Disable IE's AutoComplete feature using HTML META tags

HOWTO: Disable IE's AutoComplete feature using HTML META tags

Lee Harvey

Just discovered this by accident:

Web authors can effectively disable IE's AutoComplete feature by using the
following HTML <META> tags:

must-revalidate">

Using these tags, web authors can bypass the IE-specific AUTOCOMPLETE="off"
HTML attribute for <FORM> and <INPUT> elements.

Thought you'd be interested.

Chris Morris

"Lee Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Web authors can effectively disable IE's AutoComplete feature by using the
> following HTML <META> tags:

> must-revalidate">

At the expense of a fair bit of collateral damage to its and everyone
else's caching capabilities, yes.

> Using these tags, web authors can bypass the IE-specific AUTOCOMPLETE="off"
> HTML attribute for <FORM> and <INPUT> elements.

Why is using an IE specific attribute to bypass an IE-specific
'problem' [1] wrong? It's incredibly unlikely to harm anything else,
after all.

[1] Why would you (as an author, I mean, as a user I disable it in my
browser) want to turn off autocomplete - if the user wants it they can
have it. I doubt either the autocomplete attribute or your caching
hack works in other browsers with autocomplete ability anyway.

--
Chris

Emmanuel Gleizer Emmanuel Gleizer is offline
Junior Member

I agree with you: no problem to chache email and so on.
But I'm quite reluctant if we're speaking of a Payment form that contains credit card number.

Think if you feed in the form in a "public/work" computer...

Meta tags in HTML Mantorok ASP .Net 2 05-17-2006 12:32 PM
Enable autocomplete although site set autocomplete to off Frank Dohrmann Firefox 1 03-31-2006 11:28 PM
Retrieve Description/ Meta tags from website as well as remove HTML Mark ASP .Net 3 06-24-2005 11:01 PM
How to turn off the AutoComplete using meta tags scorp7355@aol.com Javascript 2 03-12-2005 02:53 PM
html tags within meta tags allowed? Donald Firesmith XML 5 01-08-2005 11:29 PM

Advertisments