Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: Reduce size of mp3

OT: Reduce size of mp3

Nico Schuyt

I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
Maybe someone here knows a solution.

In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file )
Anyone an explanation for this??
Files:
Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

Thanks in advance, Nico

Headless

Nico Schuyt wrote:

>In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
>Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
>*increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file )

You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the original
to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

Nico Schuyt

Headless wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:

>> In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new
>> file. Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but
>> file size is *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller
>> file )

> You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
> original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can change is
the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific effect
Nico

Els

Nico Schuyt wrote:

> Headless wrote:
>
>>Nico Schuyt wrote:

>>>In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new
>>>file. Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but
>>>file size is *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller
>>>file )

>>You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
>>original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

> Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can change is
> the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific effect
> Nico

Hey Nico, I looked it up for you
In addition to Audacity, you need to download a library at
http://mitiok.free.fr/

Once you've done that, go to Audicity's menu, click File,
Preferences, File Formats, Find Library, (then locate the
file you've just downloaded, and then you can change the
bitrate (in that File Formats section). Succes!

--
Els

Mente humana ť como pŠra-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

Headless

Nico Schuyt wrote:

>> You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
>> original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length reduction.

>Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity.

Look harder.

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

Andrew Cameron

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f680fa4$0$28897$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
> Maybe someone here knows a solution.
>
> In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
> Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
> *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file )
> Anyone an explanation for this??
> Files:
> Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
> Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3

You need a lower bitrate to get a smaller file size, but the quality will be
affected, obviously. In other news, you don't intend putting this music on
a website, do you?

--
Andrew Cameron
"Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

Nico Schuyt

Els wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:
>> Headless wrote:

>>> You need to save using the same bitrate/sample frequency as the
>>> original to achieve a size reduction relative to the length
>>> reduction.

>> Uhhh, I can't find those properties in Audacity. Only thing I can
>> change is the rate (8000Hz - 48000Hz) but that has an horrific
>> effect Nico

> Hey Nico, I looked it up for you
> In addition to Audacity, you need to download a library at
> http://mitiok.free.fr/

Thanks a lot Els! I will try that.
Regards, Nico

Nico Schuyt

Andrew Cameron wrote:

> In other news, you don't intend putting
> this music on a website, do you?

Ehh, I must admit, I do.
It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of that all,
written in Front Page.
Hope you will appreciate the result
Cheers, Nico

Andrew Cameron

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f6843e9$0$28894$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andrew Cameron wrote:
>
> > In other news, you don't intend putting
> > this music on a website, do you?

> Ehh, I must admit, I do.

Do you plan on having the volume any higher than 0%?

> It will end up in a splash page with Flash, music, frames (for better
> indexing in SE's), JS (for detecting Flash player). And, on top of that

all,
> written in Front Page.

*cardiac arrest*

> Hope you will appreciate the result

I'm sure it will be... lovely...

--
Andrew Cameron
"Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

SamuŽl van Laere

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:3f680fa4$0$28897$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I asked the same question in a ng for music but response is (s)low.
> Maybe someone here knows a solution.
>
> In Audacity I made a selection out of an mp3 and saved it as a new file.
> Play time is reduced in the new file from 28 sec to13 sec but file size is
> *increased* from 195kB to 222kB!?? (I needed a smaller file )
> Anyone an explanation for this??
> Files:
> Original: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje.mp3
> Selection: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/muziekje_s1.mp3
>
> Thanks in advance, Nico

Perhaps if you didn't do that allready,
you could make it mono instead of stereo?
Or perhaps a 8 bit mono file?
That would make a smaller file.

--
Regards,