Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: SUN challenges Microsoft

Re: SUN challenges Microsoft

andy johnson

On 16 Sep 2003 11:23:37 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Trevor) wrote:

>CNN announces that SUN is developing browser software.
>

>Since Microsoft draws a lot of hate mail, I thought people might like this:
>
>http://us.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/....ap/index.html

From that article:

"The Sun Java Desktop system, which was formerly code-named Mad
Hatter, runs on the open-source Linux operating system and includes a
variety of programs that replace Microsoft's Internet browser,
productivity suite and other parts of the Windows package. "

I thought Linux WAS a complete operating system, and it has a GUI of
some kind too. With all of the free software out there, (including
Opera) isn't this unnecessary?

-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes)

Dylan Parry

andy johnson wrote:

> I thought Linux WAS a complete operating system, and it has a GUI of
> some kind too. With all of the free software out there, (including
> Opera) isn't this unnecessary?

Linux has no GUI of its own. In fact all Linux comprises of is a Kernel
and a few Kernel modules. It's all the software that utilises this Kernel
that makes the system, and some of this software may form a GUI (xwindows).

--
Dylan Parry

Art Sackett

Dylan Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Linux has no GUI of its own. In fact all Linux comprises of is a Kernel
> and a few Kernel modules. It's all the software that utilises this Kernel
> that makes the system, and some of this software may form a GUI (xwindows).

And it might look like this:

http://www.artsackett.com/screenshot.png

That's what mine looked like a moment ago.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

Dylan Parry

Art Sackett wrote:

[looks of Linux]
> And it might look like this:
>
> http://www.artsackett.com/screenshot.png
>
> That's what mine looked like a moment ago.

Or it might look like this:

http://www.dylanparry.com/stuff/desktop.png

Which is a very much different view to Art's.

--
Dylan Parry

andy johnson

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:30:52 +0100, Dylan Parry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Art Sackett wrote:
>
>[looks of Linux]
>> And it might look like this:
>>
>> http://www.artsackett.com/screenshot.png
>>
>> That's what mine looked like a moment ago.

>Or it might look like this:
>
>http://www.dylanparry.com/stuff/desktop.png
>
>Which is a very much different view to Art's.

These screen shots look pretty good to me, so what's the big deal with
Suns new software? Sounds like MS hype.....
-

andy johnson wrote:

> These screen shots look pretty good to me, so what's the big deal with
> Suns new software? Sounds like MS hype.....

It's just another window manager, nothing fascinating about that really,
nothing new at all. If you look at Art's screenshot, his window manager is
GNOME, whereas looking at mine you see my window manager KDE. Sun's /new/
software is yet another alternative to these.

(There are many more windows managers already, not just the two I have
mentioned.)

--
Dylan Parry

Toby A Inkster