Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > problems with onclick solved so newest version is online for comments

problems with onclick solved so newest version is online for comments

Richard

www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html

Notice no tables?
and no frames!

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

>www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html
>
>Notice no tables?
>and no frames!

It doesn't validate for starters.

Even with JavaScript enabled the image swap doesn't work in Opera
7.11, Netscape 4.8 or Netscape 7.1. Not good. This may be caused by
the strange image map, or the bad nesting of elements.

Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
pixels? What on earth does that mean?

You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
image map. So why use it?

The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
image?

You're mixing mm and px units in your CSS. There's no way that you can
predict the relationship between those two units on any given display.

I've fixed the worst problems at
http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

(The one thing I haven't done is added the extra code Netscape 4 needs
for the image swap to work.)

Steve

Richard

Steve Pugh wrote:>>

> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

>>www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html
>>
>>Notice no tables?
>>and no frames!

> It doesn't validate for starters.

> Even with JavaScript enabled the image swap doesn't work in Opera
> 7.11, Netscape 4.8 or Netscape 7.1. Not good. This may be caused by
> the strange image map, or the bad nesting of elements.

> Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
> pixels? What on earth does that mean?

I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.

> You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
> image map. So why use it?

I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

> The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
> the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
> shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

> Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
> image?

Narrower?

> You're mixing mm and px units in your CSS. There's no way that you can
> predict the relationship between those two units on any given display.

> I've fixed the worst problems at
> http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

> (The one thing I haven't done is added the extra code Netscape 4 needs
> for the image swap to work.)

Saw what you did on the swap routine. Does seem to clean it up a bit.
I placed the mapping stuff within the DIV because I wasn't sure if it would
work outside of it or not.
Now that I see that it does, I'll do it that way from now on.
Helps to clean up the basic coding a tad.
Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.
And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

> Steve

> --
> "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
> I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

> Steve Pugh <(E-Mail Removed)> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

Toby A Inkster

Richard wrote:

> I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

Why does anyone surf the web? To buy things? To find out information? To
pass the time?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
playing://semisonic/all_about_chemistry/02_bed.ogg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

> I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

To get news? Listen to music? Do research for a paper they are writing?

Why would you want to treat a blind person any differently than a sighted
person?

> And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

Uhoh...

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

William Tasso

Richard wrote:

> I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the
> web?
> And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

/confiscates Richards shovel

I think you've dug deep enough now.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
>Steve Pugh wrote:
>
> > Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
> > pixels? What on earth does that mean?

>I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.
>
> > You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
> > image map. So why use it?

>I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

Don't use tools unless you know what they're doing.

> > The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
> > the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
> > shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

>I'm no big fan of alt attributes.

I'm not a big fan of people who discriminate.

>Why does a blind person surf the web?

Why do you surf the web?

> > Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
> > image?

>Narrower?

Yes.
In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.

>And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

Steve

Steve Pugh

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
>Steve Pugh wrote:
> > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
> >>www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html
> >>

> > I've fixed the worst problems at
> > http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

>Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
>from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.

I've now copied the images to my server so that other people will have
a chance to learn from this.

If you're worried about the bandwidth you should look into optimising
the images. 83kb for the main image is way too much. I would give you
some hints, but you've said don't want any more help.

Steve

rf

"Steve Pugh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
> >Steve Pugh wrote:
> > >>
> > > I've fixed the worst problems at
> > > http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

> >Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the

images
> >from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.

> I would give you
> some hints, but you've said don't want any more help.

Wouldn't work anyway. I told him to use the HREF attribute instead of
onclick a day or two ago, to no avail.

Oh well, well not have to worry about it anymore

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

Steve Pugh wrote:>>

> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
>>Steve Pugh wrote:
>>
> >> Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
> >> pixels? What on earth does that mean?

>>I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.
>>
> >> You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
> >> image map. So why use it?

>>I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

> Don't use tools unless you know what they're doing.

I tried it without the - sign and it did not appear to work correctly so I
left it because it did work.

> >> The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
> >> the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
> >> shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

>>I'm no big fan of alt attributes.

> I'm not a big fan of people who discriminate.

>>Why does a blind person surf the web?

> Why do you surf the web?

> >> Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
> >> image?

>>Narrower?

> Yes.
> In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.

I just downloaded NS7 and the page and images loaded just fine.

>>And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

> Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.
If you try to claim copyright on it, I'll sue you for every damn candian
peso you have.
Which you couldn't do anyway, because the ring thing came from a game
someone else wrote.
I may do my own version another day.