Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > ....thought provoking subject line.....

....thought provoking subject line.....

RH81

hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing, as
i have had no luck finding one..!

i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made music on
it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen to
same.

now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
are
in the directory i posted my index.html in.....

any help greatly appreciated!

thanks
rus

Els

RH81 wrote:

> hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
> could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing, as
> i have had no luck finding one..!
>
> i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made music on
> it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
> i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
> successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen to
> same.
>
> now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
> the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
> are
> in the directory i posted my index.html in.....
>
> any help greatly appreciated!

Without a url, not many people will be able to *see* what's
wrong

--
Els

Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.

Anders Thorsen Holm

RH81 wrote:

> now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i
> clicked on the links but was told that they could not be
> found....even tho the mp3's are
> in the directory i posted my index.html in.....

Be sure you link to the files correctly - beware of uppercase letters,
spacing etc.

Perhaps your ISP doesn't allow MP3s and prevents linking to files with
the mp3-extension.

--
Anders Thorsen Holm | http://www.daimi.au.dk/~zoolook/
"Angry men in combat fatigues talkin' to God on a two-way radio and

Chris Leonard

> now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
> the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
> are
> in the directory i posted my index.html in.....

Give us a link to look at

RH81

http://www.apvh56.dsl.pipex.com

i am pretty novice at html as you will be able to see!
thanks for your replies too...

"Chris Leonard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk2i9g$er2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked

on
> > the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the

mp3's
> > are
> > in the directory i posted my index.html in.....
> >

> Give us a link to look at

Jerry Muelver

"RH81" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f64bae5$0$248$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
> could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing, as
> i have had no luck finding one..!
>
> i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made music on
> it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
> i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
> successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen to
> same.
>
> now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked on
> the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the mp3's
> are
> in the directory i posted my index.html in.....
>
> any help greatly appreciated!
>
> thanks
> rus

Without a link to look at, you'll have to accept wild guesses.....

If you did your development on the Windows platform, you could get
away with case mismatches (capital letters in filenames, lowercase in
links, for inatnaces) that simply will not play on the Web. That's the
first thing to check. Links and files must have the same spelling and
case-treatment.

---- jerry (WikiWriter lives at http://hytext.com/ww )

RH81

on closer inspection, when i click the link for the mp3, it tries to find
www.apvh56.dsl.pipex.com/guff.mp3
does that mean i must make a second page containing the mp3?

does anyone know of a tutorial or FAQ explaining the process of adding mp3s
to their site?

many thanks
rus

"Jerry Muelver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "RH81" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<3f64bae5$0$248$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> > hi, im hoping someone might be able to answer my query.
> > could someone please direct me to a suitable FAQ for this type of thing,

as
> > i have had no luck finding one..!
> >
> > i have 50mb webspace from my ISP, and i want to publish my own made

music on
> > it, for my friends and other people to retreive at will.
> > i have made a small 1 page website and before i uploaded it, was
> > successfully able to click the links i provided to my music and listen

> > same.
> >
> > now i have uploaded my page correctly, when i tested the page i clicked

on
> > the links but was told that they could not be found....even tho the

mp3's
> > are
> > in the directory i posted my index.html in.....
> >
> > any help greatly appreciated!
> >
> > thanks
> > rus

> Without a link to look at, you'll have to accept wild guesses.....
>
> If you did your development on the Windows platform, you could get
> away with case mismatches (capital letters in filenames, lowercase in
> links, for inatnaces) that simply will not play on the Web. That's the
> first thing to check. Links and files must have the same spelling and
> case-treatment.
>
> ---- jerry (WikiWriter lives at http://hytext.com/ww )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

RH81 pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> on closer inspection, when i click the link for the mp3, it tries to find
> www.apvh56.dsl.pipex.com/guff.mp3
> does that mean i must make a second page containing the mp3?

I'm listening to guff1.mp3 at this moment. I just clicked the link and
Firebird began to play it...

Nice piece of music. New age-y.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

RH81

ok, thanks to all for your help!
thats such a strange thing now it works - i triple checked the source and
all was fine. everything was in the correct case, letter for letter.
human error you say??? pah... smacks of ISP troubles.

i shall bring better subject lines upon my return to this group.

thanks
rus

news:3f64eb8a$0$259$(E-Mail Removed).. .

"RH81" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f64f5c4$0$255$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> ok, thanks to all for your help!
> thats such a strange thing now it works - i triple checked the source and
> all was fine. everything was in the correct case, letter for letter.
> human error you say??? pah... smacks of ISP troubles.
>
> i shall bring better subject lines upon my return to this group.
>
> thanks
> rus

Excellent! Please also bring a willingness to adopt this group's
convention of bottom-posting and editing quotes for relevance. See
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post for some useful tips.

---- jerry