Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > calling a windows application (from hyperlink?)

calling a windows application (from hyperlink?)

bob

hello,
how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad etc...)
from a html page?

thanks
bob

David Dorward

bob wrote:
> how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad
> etc...) from a html page?

Or format! Don't forget format!

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Launch_executable

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Andrew Cameron

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjs8vv$m9p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bob wrote:
> > how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad
> > etc...) from a html page?

> Or format! Don't forget format!
>
> http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Launch_executable

Well, let's not destroy bob's dreams altogether. If the user is using IE
(and let's face it, what stu^H^H^Hintelligent user wouldn't be?) then bob
can open notepad for them...
http://computerbytesman.com/security/notepadpopups.htm - How lovely

--
Andrew Cameron
"Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

bob

hi guys,
the idea behind this is to create a cd-rom that auto starts with a html page, then i want to have links that open notepad... etc
the page that opens these applications would have a light description of it's basic functions.
i fully understand the problem behind an application starting from a link but i don't neccessarily want to avoid the popup dialog box (this would be a nice feature to this presentation though) i just want to access these applications from local hard drive of the users computer rather than imbedding these applications into the cd-rom and having possibly infringed a law or something.

so, would i have to create a link to notepad of /windows/notepad.exe (of which i would have to have another link for win2000 systems - /winnt/notepad.exe etc...) or could i call it via something like... run/notepad.exe/x/x ?

p.s. Andrew that popup notepad thingy is pretty cool...

"Andrew Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bjsonu$jp07t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjs8vv$m9p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > bob wrote:
> > > how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad
> > > etc...) from a html page?

> > Or format! Don't forget format!
> >
> > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Launch_executable

> Well, let's not destroy bob's dreams altogether. If the user is using IE
> (and let's face it, what stu^H^H^Hintelligent user wouldn't be?) then bob
> can open notepad for them...
> http://computerbytesman.com/security/notepadpopups.htm - How lovely
>
> --
> Andrew Cameron
> "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

Toby A Inkster

Andrew Cameron wrote:

> http://computerbytesman.com/security/notepadpopups.htm - How lovely

Quite amusing. The one I remember working quite well (although a lot of
people will have it patched by now) is:

Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

bob

this sort of thing is what i'm looking for:

javascript'FindApp(NOTEPAD.exe)';

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:HQm8b.97361$(E-Mail Removed)...
hi guys,
the idea behind this is to create a cd-rom that auto starts with a html page, then i want to have links that open notepad... etc
the page that opens these applications would have a light description of it's basic functions.
i fully understand the problem behind an application starting from a link but i don't neccessarily want to avoid the popup dialog box (this would be a nice feature to this presentation though) i just want to access these applications from local hard drive of the users computer rather than imbedding these applications into the cd-rom and having possibly infringed a law or something.

so, would i have to create a link to notepad of /windows/notepad.exe (of which i would have to have another link for win2000 systems - /winnt/notepad.exe etc...) or could i call it via something like... run/notepad.exe/x/x ?

p.s. Andrew that popup notepad thingy is pretty cool...

"Andrew Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bjsonu$jp07t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjs8vv$m9p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > bob wrote:
> > > how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad
> > > etc...) from a html page?

> > Or format! Don't forget format!
> >
> > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Launch_executable

> Well, let's not destroy bob's dreams altogether. If the user is using IE
> (and let's face it, what stu^H^H^Hintelligent user wouldn't be?) then bob
> can open notepad for them...
> http://computerbytesman.com/security/notepadpopups.htm - How lovely
>
> --
> Andrew Cameron
> "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

bob

i'm thinking something like:

file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE

although this doesn't work file:///C:/windows/NOTEPAD.EXE does. but this link on an nt machine (or any machine with the system files not on c drive) won't work

any ideas?

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g8t8b.98120$(E-Mail Removed)...
this sort of thing is what i'm looking for:

javascript'FindApp(NOTEPAD.exe)';

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:HQm8b.97361$(E-Mail Removed)...
hi guys,
the idea behind this is to create a cd-rom that auto starts with a html page, then i want to have links that open notepad... etc
the page that opens these applications would have a light description of it's basic functions.
i fully understand the problem behind an application starting from a link but i don't neccessarily want to avoid the popup dialog box (this would be a nice feature to this presentation though) i just want to access these applications from local hard drive of the users computer rather than imbedding these applications into the cd-rom and having possibly infringed a law or something.

so, would i have to create a link to notepad of /windows/notepad.exe (of which i would have to have another link for win2000 systems - /winnt/notepad.exe etc...) or could i call it via something like... run/notepad.exe/x/x ?

p.s. Andrew that popup notepad thingy is pretty cool...

"Andrew Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bjsonu$jp07t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjs8vv$m9p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > bob wrote:
> > > how could i start a windows application (eg: wordpad, calc, notepad
> > > etc...) from a html page?

> > Or format! Don't forget format!
> >
> > http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Launch_executable

> Well, let's not destroy bob's dreams altogether. If the user is using IE
> (and let's face it, what stu^H^H^Hintelligent user wouldn't be?) then bob
> can open notepad for them...
> http://computerbytesman.com/security/notepadpopups.htm - How lovely
>
> --
> Andrew Cameron
> "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

rf

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Q8x8b.98494$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i'm thinking something like:

>file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE

>although this doesn't work file:///C:/windows/NOTEPAD.EXE does. but this

link on an nt machine >(or any machine with the system files not on c drive)
won't work

>any ideas?

Somebody gave you one. view-source:. Of course you have to fiddle around
with the URI as view-source: demands a full URI, not a relative one.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/test/notepad.html

You will need to tweek it to get it to work properly in Mozilla.

BTW could you *please* switch off the HTML in your newsreader.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HHx8b.98524$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Q8x8b.98494$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i'm thinking something like:

> >file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE

> >although this doesn't work file:///C:/windows/NOTEPAD.EXE does. but

this
> link on an nt machine >(or any machine with the system files not on c

drive)
> won't work
>
> >any ideas?

> Somebody gave you one. view-source:. Of course you have to fiddle around
> with the URI as view-source: demands a full URI, not a relative one.

Belay that. I re-read the thread and discovered that you wish to start any
one of a number of programs. Well sorry but you are out of luck with a
browser. You can not call an .exe without the download/open dialog poping
up. The browsers have security code in them to specifically stop this.

There are activeX controls out there that will allow you to do this but the
user has to install the control.

Cheers
Richard.

bob

hi richard,
having the dialog box pop is not the issue, most replies
have stated this can't be done and i don't have a problem with that.

i am creating a cd-rom and i want to put links on an auto start html
document that open some of the windows applicatioins like paint etc...

i can call them with file:///C:/WINDOWS/NOTEPAD.EXE but if i am to run
this on a number of windows platforms (eg: nt and win2000 would need to call
it via file:///C:/WINNT/NOTEPAD.EXE ) it won't work.

now i figure if i use something along the lines of:
file:///%systemroot%/NOTEPAD.EXE (although this does not work for me), the
link would work for any windows revision.

any ideas?

regards

news:TQx8b.98532$(E-Mail Removed)...