Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mailto: with subject AND body

Reply
Thread Tools

mailto: with subject AND body

 
 
Alex
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
Hi

how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.
I can only have one or the other.
I would like to combine it.
Who can help?

Greets,
Alex


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
Alex wrote:
> Hi
>
> how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.


You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
(E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
but that won't work.


> I can only have one or the other.


Actually, you can have neither. Reliably.

> I would like to combine it.
> Who can help?


http://cgi.resourceindex.com/
http://php.resourceindex.com/

--
Hywel

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
floortje
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:bjqad6$1ite$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.
> I can only have one or the other.
> I would like to combine it.
> Who can help?
>
> Greets,
> Alex
>

wont work on all platforms but for most windows users this will do
(E-Mail Removed)?subject=subjecttext&body=b odytext

Grtz Floortje


 
Reply With Quote
 
floortje
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:bjqahv$lsjvk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Alex wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.

>
> You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
> but that won't work.
>


That's a bit overstated

It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
browser
I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.

My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject

Floortje


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alex
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
> You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
> but that won't work.

It worked, thanks
Alex


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alex
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
> wont work on all platforms but for most windows users this will do
> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=subjecttext&body=b odytext

It worked, thanks
Alex


 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
floortje wrote:

> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
>> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
>> but that won't work.

>
> That's a bit overstated
>
> It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
> their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
> browser


I would expect that more than half would be using a Gecko-based browser
actually.

Besides which, properly set up, Lynx can handle such URLs.

> My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept
> ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and
> subject


Often if they don't they'll get a mangled domain name part of the email
address.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?id=132

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
floortje wrote:
> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:bjqahv$lsjvk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>Alex wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>how can I write a mailto: with default subject AND default body.

>>
>>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
>> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
>>but that won't work.
>>

>
>
> That's a bit overstated


Not in my definition of "working".

>
> It highly depends or ur audience. Dont do it for www.linux.org cause half of
> their users are still browsing that site on their text based internet
> browser


Now you've just confirmed that you're talking ****.

> I once made an intranet site where everyone used exactly the same os,
> outlook express and ie so I could use this safely.


Wrong.


> My experience is that about a greater majority of the users will accept


Your limited experience, that is.

> ?subject=&body= and if they dont they will just get a blank body and subject


Wrong again. Do it properly and use a server-side solution.

--
Hywel

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
Alex wrote:

>>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
>> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
>>but that won't work.

>
> It worked, thanks


Wrong.

--
Hywel

 
Reply With Quote
 
Alex
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
Hi
> >>You can't. Someone will tell you to do something stupid like
> >> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=MySubject&body=MyB ody
> >>but that won't work.

> >
> > It worked, thanks

>
> Wrong.

I just saw it

Alex


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To reduce your body weight & slim your body Loss weight MCSA 0 07-21-2007 05:15 AM
No Subject for this subject George MCAD 0 05-20-2005 10:19 AM
Add/Remove Programs Help Kinda Wierd Do Not Ignore Terrable Subject JustIgnore The Subject Oops Whatever Duh Samuel Townsend Computer Support 0 10-13-2004 12:49 AM
Open standard e-mail app with subject and body preset Peter Amberg Javascript 13 04-05-2004 04:37 PM
Not detecting body.scrollTop and body.scrollLeft in IE6 London Boy Javascript 2 01-12-2004 08:44 AM



Advertisments