Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > what picture format?

what picture format?

bubipoo

hi guys,
what's the best picture format to use on html pages?

regards
darren

Leif K-Brooks

bubipoo wrote:
> what's the best picture format to use on html pages?

Depends on who you ask, but I'd use PNG.

rf

"Leif K-Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:8CT7b.7605$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .
> bubipoo wrote:
> > what's the best picture format to use on html pages?

> Depends on who you ask, but I'd use PNG.

For pictures most definately jpeg. A png can be 8 times as big since a png
does not use lossy compression whereas a jpeg does.

I have a roo,
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.jpg [38K]
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.png [245K]
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.gif [65K]

A png should be used where no loss can be tolerated, for example a
graphically designed (ie not a picture) company logo.

If colour depth is not an issue, for example pictures of text or graphic art
with few colours then a gif may be better. Even better if you can reduce the
colour depth of the gif further then the maximum of 256 colours. There are
sites around (forget just now) that will take your gif and flatten it for
you, often reducing the size by an order of magnitude.

Best bet is to construct one of each, look at them and choose the smallest,
keeping in mind colour depth and compression losses.

Cheers
Richard.

bubipoo

thank richard and leif.
i was using bitmaps but they bog things down a bit.

regards
darren

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:33U7b.94032$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Leif K-Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:8CT7b.7605$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com.. .
> > bubipoo wrote:
> > > what's the best picture format to use on html pages?

> > Depends on who you ask, but I'd use PNG.

> For pictures most definately jpeg. A png can be 8 times as big since a png
> does not use lossy compression whereas a jpeg does.
>
> I have a roo,
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.jpg [38K]
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.png [245K]
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/roo.gif [65K]
>
> A png should be used where no loss can be tolerated, for example a
> graphically designed (ie not a picture) company logo.
>
> If colour depth is not an issue, for example pictures of text or graphic

art
> with few colours then a gif may be better. Even better if you can reduce

the
> colour depth of the gif further then the maximum of 256 colours. There are
> sites around (forget just now) that will take your gif and flatten it for
> you, often reducing the size by an order of magnitude.
>
> Best bet is to construct one of each, look at them and choose the

smallest,
> keeping in mind colour depth and compression losses.
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

rf

"bubipoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gAU7b.94072$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thank richard and leif.
> i was using bitmaps but they bog things down a bit.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGHH.

Never ever use a bitmap (I assume you mean BMP). They are not compressed at
all, that is there are three bytes in there for every single pixel, plus a
bunch of Microsoft invented overhead. They are also not supported by many
browsers.

My roo comes in at 504K as a bmp, something I just don't have the space on
my web site to publish.

Phew, I'm glad you asked your question

Cheers
Richard.

EightNineThree

"bubipoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RnT7b.93936$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi guys,
> what's the best picture format to use on html pages?
>
> regards
> darren

Typically, jpg is better for photo quality images or images with a lot of
gradient.
gif is better for line art stuff and things without much gradient.

gif is often smaller in (data) size to a certain point. Although jpg can
compress further, it tends to really turn to **** quite fast after a certain
point.

png is quickly coming up as the format of choice because it:
a) supports transparency
b) is very light
c) supports photo quality

Someone else here may be able to give better info on PNG, but it wasn't well
supported until relatively recent browser versions.
With the rate of browser/ OS upgrade, I think PNG is safe to use unless your
target user is using old browsers.

--
Karl Core

Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

Nico Schuyt

EightNineThree wrote:

> png is quickly coming up as the format of choice because it:
> a) supports transparency

I never managed to make a PNG transparent (in IE)
What do I do wrong?
Regards, Nico

rf

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f605bbc$0$28906$(E-Mail Removed)...
> EightNineThree wrote:
>
> > png is quickly coming up as the format of choice because it:
> > a) supports transparency

> I never managed to make a PNG transparent (in IE)
> What do I do wrong?
> Regards, Nico

You have used IE. IE does (AFAIK) not support transparency in PNGs.

Cheers
Richard

Headless

rf wrote:

>You have used IE. IE does (AFAIK) not support transparency in PNGs.

It does to a limited extend, Alpha Transparency is not supported at all,
24 bit single colour transparent png's aren't supported either afaics,
but palette based single colour transparent png's are supported (IE6
anyway).

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

rf

"Headless" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> rf wrote:
>
> >You have used IE. IE does (AFAIK) not support transparency in PNGs.

> It does to a limited extend, Alpha Transparency is not supported at all,
> 24 bit single colour transparent png's aren't supported either afaics,
> but palette based single colour transparent png's are supported (IE6
> anyway).

Interesting Headless. That explains all, well most of it

It also narrows the playing field considerably, does it not?
Transparency --> gifs

I don't use PNG's anyway. jpegs and gifs are enough.

Cheers
Richard.