Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > validation

validation

the idiot

when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
attribute 'color' when creating a line.

<hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">

i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.

how do i solve this?
thanks.

EightNineThree

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjkbt7$qvu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
> attribute 'color' when creating a line.
>
> <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
>
> i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
>
> how do i solve this?
> thanks.

Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.

--
Karl Core

Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

the idiot

"EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjkc12$elr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjkbt7$qvu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
> > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
> >
> > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
> >
> > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
> >
> > how do i solve this?
> > thanks.
> >

> Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.

cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
knowledge?

mark | r

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjkbt7$qvu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
> attribute 'color' when creating a line.
>
> <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
>
> i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
>
> how do i solve this?

<hr style="color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px">

or better still

<head>
..hr{color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px}
<hr class="hr">

as for the table... i do hope your not using it to define the positions of
page elements i.e. layout - really people should be taught how to do it
properly.

mark

the idiot

"mark | r" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f5dbebc$0$255$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjkbt7$qvu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
> > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
> >
> > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
> >
> > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
> >
> > how do i solve this?

> <hr style="color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px">
>
> or better still
>
> <head>
> .hr{color:#eoeoeo;height:1px;width:300px}
> <hr class="hr">
>
> as for the table... i do hope your not using it to define the positions of
> page elements i.e. layout - really people should be taught how to do it
> properly.
>
> mark

who me? never. (or maybe)... no its just for nice design reasons really. and
i have now found out how to do it with css. ta.

EightNineThree

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjkdco$nqu$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:bjkc12$elr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bjkbt7$qvu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > > when trying to validate some pages on my site i am told there is not
> > > attribute 'color' when creating a line.
> > >
> > > <hr width="300" color="#eoeoeo" size="1">
> > >
> > > i also have the same problem with 'bordercolor' when creating a table.
> > >
> > > how do i solve this?
> > > thanks.
> > >

> > Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.
> >

> cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
> knowledge?

Assload of CSS links:
http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS

--
Karl Core

Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

the idiot

"EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjlgn6$gei$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjkdco$nqu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >
> > "EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
> > news:bjkc12$elr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bjkbt7$qvu$(E-Mail Removed). ..

table.

> > > Use CSS for those desired presentational effects.
> > >

> > cheers. which is the best css tutorial for those of us with only basic
> > knowledge?
> >

> Assload of CSS links:
> http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS

ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some of my
pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as 'illegal
characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

EightNineThree

"the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjlj8f$9fu$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:bjlgn6$gei$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>
> > Assload of CSS links:
> > http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS
> >

> ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some of

my
> pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as 'illegal
> characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

See: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...al_characters/

--
Karl Core

Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

Daniel R. Tobias

EightNineThree wrote:
> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjlj8f$9fu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as 'illegal
>>characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

> For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

Actually, aside from a few special cases like within attribute values,
you generally can include plain-ASCII single and double quotes (" and ')
freely without escaping them.

What is being referenced above is probably a use of bogus control
characters in the range from #128 through #159, which some proprietary
software thinks include "curly quotes". There are proper Unicode values
for those characters, if you want to use them, but not in this range.

--
== Dan ==

the idiot

"EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjlv1t$nrv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "the idiot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bjlj8f$9fu$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >
> > "EightNineThree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
> > news:bjlgn6$gei$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
> > > Assload of CSS links:
> > > http://www.karlcore.com/linksdisplay.php?cat=CSS
> > >

> > ta. ive now solved those problems. though i have another one. on some

of
> my
> > pages quotation marks in the text (its a poetry site) come up as

'illegal
> > characters' is there anything i can do about that? thanks again.

> For quotation marks you need to use - &quot;

so instead of the left and right double quotation marks i used “ and
” (as suggested by 0'reilly html ref book) but still it appears to be
wrong... it is the (semicolon bit that is marked out as being a non-SGML
character???? does this really matter?