Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE and Opera vs. Firebird

IE and Opera vs. Firebird

SteW

Andrew Cameron wrote:

> Ah, I will do that in future. For the time being, putting a strict doctype
> in doesn't change anything in Firebird - check it out at the original URL.
>
> Really confused now. )

You also have errors in your xhtml and css.
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Ste W

Anne Marie Denley

"Andrew Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjfgcm$iel88$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a serious problem with a page layout I've made. It works
> beautifully in IE and Opera, but doesn't work in Firebird. I've tried
> everything I can think of (even giving the background, #shell, a height
> attribute which was a total hack and looks wrong) to get the background

DIV
> to stretch to accomodate the nested DIVs. I asked a friend whose job it

is
> to design sites and she had no idea either.
>
> If you think you can help, please visit < http://x01.co.uk/pleasehelp/ >

for
> a description of the problem, screenshots and code. Thanks in advance for
> any help.

Hi,
I think it is because you are floating both the menu and content divs are
floating
and thus not taking up any space in the shell div. In order to make a
container
div actually contain floated items there must be non-floated items at the
start and
end of the container div. You have the banner at the start and so you need
something
at the end. If you don't want to add any content then you can use a spacer
div.

div.spacer { clear:both; }

hope this helps,
AM

> --
> Andrew Cameron
> "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

Andrew Cameron

"Anne Marie Denley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I think it is because you are floating both the menu and content divs are
> floating
> and thus not taking up any space in the shell div. In order to make a
> container
> div actually contain floated items there must be non-floated items at the
> start and
> end of the container div. You have the banner at the start and so you

need
> something
> at the end. If you don't want to add any content then you can use a

spacer
> div.

Of course! There's nothing holding them down! How simple, and yet how easy
to forget when just building what needs to be seen, not what needs to be
there.

Thank you so so so much, Anne. I had people (myself included) tearing their
hair out over this one and it was so simple. Thank you again, you have made
my day.

--
Andrew Cameron
"Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."

Comparisons of IE, Opera and Firefox on DOM (Javascript/CSS) support(Opera wins) Bob HTML 24 05-21-2006 05:31 PM
Firebird and E-mail dj tuchler Firefox 1 02-15-2005 06:57 AM
Opera 7.53 vs Opera 6.0 ? Hockey Buff Computer Support 3 08-17-2004 08:53 PM
Firebird and e-mail applications dj tuchler Firefox 1 08-13-2003 09:25 PM
Re: firebird fonts horrible and thin Gunther Firefox 1 07-19-2003 01:10 PM

Advertisments