Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IBM doctype?

IBM doctype?

Leif K-Brooks

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Surely. And you can call a piece of bread an HTML program, or pointless
> play with words an argument. I would appreciate if you did not do that
> here, and, as the second best option, if you continued using a forged From
> field as long as you just babble. TIA.

Then explain why Canada or Britian is more of a country than what I
decide to call a country. The only real answer is the number of people
who recognize it as such, which makes sense.

By the same logic, a web standard is determined by how many people
recognize it as such. Even if no country or international body
recognizes W3C standards, they are loosely used by 99.9% of web authors
and browsers.

Eric B. Bednarz

Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> By the same logic, a web standard is determined by how many people
> recognize it as such.

By the same logic, that's how M$ Internet Exploder became the only
relevant standard on the web, and the rest obscurity for its own sake.

> Even if no country or international body
> recognizes W3C standards, they are loosely used by 99.9% of web
> authors and browsers.

You have a serious typo there.

s/used by/unknown or irrelevant to/

Short of a couple of weblogs, nobody takes W3C prose serious, apparently
not even its members. Maybe because of the tradition of keeping the
nose close to the ground, following the trail of the big Redmond dog,
and wagging with the tail when they encounter its warm and steamy
droppings.

--
"XHTML is by far the silliest puff of hothouse XMLing-for-its-own-sake
to have wafted out of the W3C."