Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Background Images

Background Images

Trevor

I am writing a toy site, and it needs a more fun and playful
background. Is an image the only way of effecting more than a plain
colour?

The toy site at

http://www.newbright.com

shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
manufacturer of toys.)

New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
dependence to client based scripts.

Joe Patrick

> The toy site at
>
> http://www.newbright.com
>
> shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
> manufacturer of toys.)
>
> New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
> inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
> dependence to client based scripts.

<BODY background="imagename.whatever">
Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

Headless

Joe Patrick wrote:

><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
>Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

Joe Patrick

> ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
> >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

> 1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

Not all browsers support that, besides - its easier for most people!
--
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
For the latest News, Information and Photos check out

Headless

Joe Patrick wrote:

>> ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
>> >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

>> 1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

>Not all browsers support that, besides - its easier for most people!

A 1997 argument, it's 2003 now sleepy.

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

C A Upsdell

"Joe Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjf3vs$8li$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > ><BODY background="imagename.whatever">
> > >Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

> > 1997 code, the world has moved on since then, try CSS.

> Not all browsers support that, besides - its easier for most people!

Easier? Let me see: if I want to change the BODY attribute, I have to
update all HTML files; if I want to change CSS, I have to update one CSS
file. Doesn't CSS seem simpler?

Trevor

"Joe Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bjerhd$pq7$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > The toy site at
> >
> > http://www.newbright.com
> >
> > shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
> > manufacturer of toys.)
> >
> > New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
> > inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
> > dependence to client based scripts.

> <BODY background="imagename.whatever">
> Just replace the <Body> tag with that and put an image at the end

The problem is actually not knowing the screen attributes (eg size) of
the client. The fading effect can easily be distorted. Is there any
neat way of doing it. I coded 800 pixels on a fading strip - right to
left - and saw it on a 1200 px screen and it looked less than good.

Examples I have seen all use a template setup with a lot of
Javascript, I hoped something simple was around.

rf

"Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am writing a toy site, and it needs a more fun and playful
> background. Is an image the only way of effecting more than a plain
> colour?
>
> The toy site at
>
> http://www.newbright.com
>
> shows a more interesting background. (Newbright is a large
> manufacturer of toys.)
>
> New Bright uses images and javascript, but I think that has
> inflexibility due to download times being longer, and also creating a
> dependence to client based scripts.

Hmmm. Gradiants. Resiseable ones?

Are you looking for something like
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/tricks/rainbows2.htm

Carefull though, I wrote that in 1997

cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

Trevor wrote:

> The problem is actually not knowing the screen attributes (eg size) of
> the client. The fading effect can easily be distorted. Is there any
> neat way of doing it. I coded 800 pixels on a fading strip - right to
> left - and saw it on a 1200 px screen and it looked less than good.

With CSS 3 we will be able to specify that a background image should be
streched to cover its entire container, but alas CSS 3 is a distant dream
(Opera 7 has some preliminary CSS 3 support, but not for this part of CSS
3. Mozilla has a tiny amount of CSS 3 too, but again not for this.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS