Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem: Altering cell content in a <TABLE> on demand

Problem: Altering cell content in a <TABLE> on demand

edwin Boyette

I would like to be able to set the content of a cell " <TD> <TD> " = to a
variable, most likely store the data or content in an array, and then write
the data in reponse to an action. Any thoughts on this I have been poking
around all over the place and couldn't find a solution.

Michael Wilcox

edwin Boyette <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to be able to set the content of a cell " <TD> <TD> " =
> to a variable, most likely store the data or content in an array, and
> then write the data in reponse to an action. Any thoughts on this I
> have been poking around all over the place and couldn't find a
> solution.

HTML isn't a programming language, so look into one instead (I highly
recomend PHP).
--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

Michael Wilcox

edwin Boyette <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks Michael I'll have a look then. Is there any site you think
> that stands out with regards to tutorials and examples for PHP?

Learn the bare basics at www.php.net or www.phpfreaks.com (which has much
more advanced articles as well) and one at
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tw=programming (which
I haven't tried).
--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

Bagbourne

Michael Wilcox wrote:
> edwin Boyette <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Michael I'll have a look then. Is there any site you think
>>that stands out with regards to tutorials and examples for PHP?

> Learn the bare basics at www.php.net or www.phpfreaks.com (which has much
> more advanced articles as well) and one at
> http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tw=programming (which
> I haven't tried).

edwin, they are all taking about server-side modification of the page. A
reload of the page. You can't have poked around much to miss Javascript!

You can use Javascript manipulation of the document to achieve the same
thing within the client browser without reloading the page - provided
that your user has a javascript enabled browser. It depends on the
environment that your users have.

Have a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929
appendinx D, "ECMA Script Language Binding". (ECMA script being the
standardized version which most Javascript adheres to)

You can access all elements of the document.

<script type="text/javascript">
var cell = document.getElementById("mycell");
</script>

Remove all child nodes from the cell, and add the ones you want.

To create a text node to append to the cell, use
document.createTextNode("hello world");

For more help on this, take it to comp.lang.javascript.

Nige