Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Domain Forwarding OT

Domain Forwarding OT

Jeff Thies

Hello,

I've registered a domain with GoDaddy.com (first time with them) and
have this set to forward to a directory on a different domain.

Here's the domain: http://feelgoodphoto.com

and it forwards to this:

http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/

How does this domain forwarding work???? Is this different than a
normal DNS lookup and trace?

I ask this because Earthlink and only Earthlink fails to resolve this
and then only for only some of their pops.

A tracert looks something like this:

Tracing route to feelgoodphoto.com [64.202.162.37]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 298 ms 279 ms 279 ms acn05-lo-1.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net
209.165.105.5]
2 256 ms 260 ms 259 ms 207.69.143.2
3 278 ms 259 ms 258 ms
dir10-g12-0-0.ga-atlanta0.ne.earthlink.net
209.165.96.18]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.

That looks to me like they are doing some IP filtering at one of their
routers.

What's going on?

Cheers,
Jeff

David Dorward

Jeff Thies wrote:
> Here's the domain: http://feelgoodphoto.com
> and it forwards to this:
> http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/

> How does this domain forwarding work???? Is this different than a
> normal DNS lookup and trace?

It isn't domain forwarding, its an http redirect (note the 301 and the
Location header):

david@cyberman:david]telnet feelgoodphoto.com 80
Trying 64.202.162.37...
Connected to feelgoodphoto.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: feelgoodphoto.com

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:22:05 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) PHP/4.3.1
Location: http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/
Via: 1.1 netcache01 (NetCache NetApp/5.4R1)

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>301 Moved Permanently</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Moved Permanently</H1>
The document has moved <A
HREF="http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/">here</A>.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.28 Server at parkweb6.secureserver.net Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Jeff Thies

David Dorward wrote:

> Jeff Thies wrote:
> > Here's the domain: http://feelgoodphoto.com
> > and it forwards to this:
> > http://thelimit.com/feelgoodphoto/

> > How does this domain forwarding work???? Is this different than a
> > normal DNS lookup and trace?

> It isn't domain forwarding, its an http redirect (note the 301 and the
> Location header):

Thanks.

I couldn't have been more surprised! Seems like a quick and cheesy way
for them to do this with minimal traffic.

Curious. What's the expected behaviour of the UA? Does it have to look
it up each time? Or does it cache it for the browser session or longer?

W3C is a bit unenlightening on this.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff Thies wrote:

> David Dorward wrote:

>> HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

> Curious. What's the expected behaviour of the UA?
> W3C is a bit unenlightening on this.

| 301 Moved Permanently
|
| The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any
| future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned URIs.
| Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically re-link
| references to the Request-URI to one or more of the new references
| returned by the server, where possible. This response is cacheable unless
| indicated otherwise.

The UA should cache it as any other page (subject to any cache control http
headers).

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Toby A Inkster

Jeff Thies wrote:

> Curious. What's the expected behaviour of the UA? Does it have to look
> it up each time? Or does it cache it for the browser session or longer?

It's a 301 (permenant redirect) response code, so theoretically the
browser should remember it.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)