Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Which one do you prefer?

Which one do you prefer?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Alan D-W

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LsP4b.26550$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which one do you prefer?
>
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...ildertest.html

I don't see much difference, and I don't like either, but for a start, those
links are awful.
Alan

Nico Schuyt

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Which one do you prefer?
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...ildertest.html

Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout are, ehhh,
not so attractive
In the bildertest: The image descriptions are not underneath the images.
Margins are too wide.
Regards, Nico

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:3f544a74$0$28912$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Which one do you prefer?
> > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
> > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...ildertest.html

> Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout are,

ehhh,
> not so attractive

Do you mean the background colour or which colour are you talking about? Do
you find the colour too bright or too dark?
> Margins are too wide.

As a matter of fact
I have seen other pages as www.google.com and www.yahoo.com which have
margins which are approximately as wide as the ones on
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...ildertest.html

- -
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

Nico Schuyt

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote
>> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

>>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
>>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/...ildertest.html

>> Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout
>> are, ehhh, not so attractive

> Do you mean the background colour or which colour are you talking
> about? Do you find the colour too bright or too dark?

It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more neutral
background.
Remove those blue borders from the pictures

>> Margins are too wide.

> As a matter of fact
> I have seen other pages as www.google.com and www.yahoo.com which have
> margins which are approximately as wide

Google has so little content. In your case it's a waist of screen.

Other suggestions:
- Try a sans serif font like Arial.
- Place the description below the pictures.
- Center the pictures when there are more next to each other. Let single
pictures float left or right in the text.
- Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).
- Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and accessibility.
- Improve the quality of the pictures.

Cheers, Nico
PS But first of all do something about that menu :
Välkommen Benvenuti Welcome Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|
|*Översättning*| |*Språkundervisning*| |*Tolkning*| |*Förmedling av varor*|
|*Vill du hyra ut din semesterbostad som är belägen i Sverige?*| |*Info om
Sverige på italienska*| |*Boende i Italien*| |*Lägenheter, hus, rum i
Italien*| |* Var i Italien vill du bo på semester ? *| | *Vad kostar
hyresförmedlingen*| |* Italiens regioner, huvudorter, miljöer*| | *Parterna
i hyresavtalet*| |* Bilder på hyresvärdar och hyresgäster*| |Bergarna*|
|*Kullarna*| |*Vulkanerna*| |*Sandkusten*| |*Havet*| |*Sjöarna*| |*Älvarna*|
|*Öarna*| |*Slätterna*| |*Stenstränderna*|

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:3f545e03$0$28900$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Nico Schuyt wrote

> >> Both pages: Main menu very hard to read. Color scheme and layout
> >> are, ehhh, not so attractive

> > Do you mean the background colour or which colour are you talking
> > about? Do you find the colour too bright or too dark?

> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more neutral
> background.
> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.
> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and accessibility.
> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so much.
They would have probably looked like much better if they had been by a
digital camera.

> Cheers, Nico
> PS But first of all do something about that menu :
> Välkommen Benvenuti Welcome Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|
> |*Översättning*| |*Språkundervisning*| |*Tolkning*| |*Förmedling av

varor*|
> |*Vill du hyra ut din semesterbostad som är belägen i Sverige?*| |*Info om
> Sverige på italienska*| |*Boende i Italien*| |*Lägenheter, hus, rum i
> Italien*| |* Var i Italien vill du bo på semester ? *| | *Vad kostar
> hyresförmedlingen*| |* Italiens regioner, huvudorter, miljöer*| |

*Parterna
> i hyresavtalet*| |* Bilder på hyresvärdar och hyresgäster*| |Bergarna*|
> |*Kullarna*| |*Vulkanerna*| |*Sandkusten*| |*Havet*| |*Sjöarna*|

|*Älvarna*|
> |*Öarna*| |*Slätterna*| |*Stenstränderna*|

Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in the
menu.

- -
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html

Nico Schuyt

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Nico Schuyt skrev
>> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>> Nico Schuyt wrote

>> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more
>> neutral background.
>> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

> Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
> http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

Nothing wrong with a flag or a logo in those colors but you can't make the
whole page like that. Besides, neither your blue, nor the yellow are the
colors of the flag.
If the Swedish flag is important, so use it on a neutral background (soft
gray for example) and apply the blue color of the flag for headings (H1, H2
etc). Maybe the yellow as hover color in normal links.

>> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
>> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

> May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.

That is highly impractical

>> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and
>> accessibility.

You missed this one

>> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

> I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so
> much. They would have probably looked like much better if they had
> been by a digital camera.

A scanner should do the job. Save the scan as .BMP (probably default) and
convert it with a picture editor to a properly compressed JPG.
Upload a scan to your site for some further advice if you like.

>> PS But first of all do something about that menu :
>> Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|
>>> *Kullarna*| |*Vulkanerna*| |*Sandkusten*| |*Havet*| |*Sjöarna*|
>>> *Älvarna*| *Öarna*| |*Slätterna*| |*Stenstränderna*|

> Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in
> the menu.

It's difficult to read with all that *||*. And too many options in the menu.
Split it up in a main menu and submenus. Use CSS-buttons instead of the *||*

Cheers, Nico

Phrederik

To be honest, there isn't anything I like about the page myself.

- Headings are too big
- Colour choice could be better. Definately too many different coloured
backgrounds on your links.
- Margins are too wide
- That "||" menu thing is awful! Why do SOME links have a different colour
background?
- That image map is not obvious. Each section should be differenciated
somehow. Why can't I click on the fruit on the table? It's just as obvious
as the bowl next to it.
- Picture quality is lacking. Not the detail of the picture, but just how it
fits with the page. The extraneous stuff around the picture should be
trimmed out.
- Counters are not professional at all. If you want a counter, put it
someplace for you to see, not everyone else.

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f555836$0$28886$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Nico Schuyt skrev

> >> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more
> >> neutral background.
> >> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

> > Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
> > http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

> Nothing wrong with a flag or a logo in those colors but you can't make the
> whole page like that. Besides, neither your blue, nor the yellow are the
> colors of the flag.
> If the Swedish flag is important, so use it on a neutral background (soft
> gray for example) and apply the blue color of the flag for headings (H1,

H2
> etc). Maybe the yellow as hover color in normal links.
>
> >> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
> >> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

> > May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.

> That is highly impractical
>
> >> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and
> >> accessibility.

> You missed this one
>
> >> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

> > I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so
> > much. They would have probably looked like much better if they had
> > been by a digital camera.

> A scanner should do the job. Save the scan as .BMP (probably default) and
> convert it with a picture editor to a properly compressed JPG.
> Upload a scan to your site for some further advice if you like.
>
> >> PS But first of all do something about that menu :
> >> Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|

> > Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in
> > the menu.

> It's difficult to read with all that *||*. And too many options in the

menu.
> Split it up in a main menu and submenus. Use CSS-buttons instead of the

*||*

> Cheers, Nico

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Phrederik" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> skrev i meddelandet
> To be honest, there isn't anything I like about the page myself.

To be honest I do not like many other pages which I visit either.

> - Headings are too big

Big headings also have some advantages, they may help people to find it more
difficult to read a text, usually elderly users

Have a look at www.gazzetta.it They have much text and still large margins.
The same works for www.yahoo.com for example.
> - That "||" menu thing is awful! Why do SOME links have a different colour
> background?
> - That image map is not obvious. Each section should be differenciated
> somehow. Why can't I click on the fruit on the table? It's just as obvious
> as the bowl next to it.

Because the fruit is not on sale.
> - Picture quality is lacking. Not the detail of the picture, but just how

it
> fits with the page. The extraneous stuff around the picture should be
> trimmed out.
> - Counters are not professional at all. If you want a counter, put it
> someplace for you to see, not everyone else.

I did not make the counter myself. I got it from Telia which offers web
hosting.

Best regards

- -

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/siena.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:3f555836$0$28886$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Nico Schuyt skrev

> >> It's the combination of blue and yellow I think. Start with a more
> >> neutral background.
> >> Remove those blue borders from the pictures

> > Blue and yellow are used in the Swedish flag
> > http://flagspot.net/flags/se.html

> Nothing wrong with a flag or a logo in those colors but you can't make the
> whole page like that. Besides, neither your blue, nor the yellow are the
> colors of the flag.

I just meant that blue and yellow are popular in Sweden.

> >> - Remove the image map. Slows down the site. Nobody recognises it as an
> >> image map (I didn't notice untill I looked at the coding).

> > May-be I could explain on the page that it is an image map.

> That is highly impractical
>
> >> - Use div boxes instead of tables for more flexibility and
> >> accessibility.

> You missed this one

Sorry!
I am not sure what you mean with div boxes, if you explain it further I can
try to answer. Tables anyway are shown correctly even by browsers which do
not understand CSS..
> >> - Improve the quality of the pictures.

> > I scanned the pictures, I am not so sure that I could improve them so
> > much. They would have probably looked like much better if they had
> > been by a digital camera.

> A scanner should do the job. Save the scan as .BMP (probably default) and
> convert it with a picture editor to a properly compressed JPG.
> Upload a scan to your site for some further advice if you like.

I do not know how I did the job when I scanned that photo. Nowadays I
usually save as TIF and after adjusting the photo I save it as JPG
> >> PS But first of all do something about that menu :
> >> Willkommen |*Hjälp*| |*Hyresförmedling*|

> > Well, actualy, II am not sure I understand what you did not like in
> > the menu.

> It's difficult to read with all that *||*. And too many options in the

menu.
> Split it up in a main menu and submenus. Use CSS-buttons instead of the

*||*

Yes, I may divide the menu in several sections

- -