Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mailto: subject line

Reply
Thread Tools

mailto: subject line

 
 
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?

I am currently using:

Email <a href="mailto(E-Mail Removed)">parts@mywebsite. com</a> for more
information.


I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
subject line of the email.

Thanks a million!

Chuck


--

I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sid Ismail
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:10:47 GMT, "Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?
:
: I am currently using:
:
: Email <a href="mailto(E-Mail Removed)">parts@mywebsite. com</a> for more
: information.
:
:
: I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
: subject line of the email.


Use a CGI script. Plenty out there.

Sid

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bart van den Burg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xfv4b.12252$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?
>
> I am currently using:
>
> Email <a href="mailto(E-Mail Removed)">parts@mywebsite. com</a> for

more
> information.
>
>
> I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
> subject line of the email.
>
> Thanks a million!
>
> Chuck
>
>
> --
>
> I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
>
>


You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the browser will
do with it
Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so in that
case:
<A HREF="(E-Mail Removed)?subject=yourSubjec t">Mailme</A>
But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........

Bart


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
Ok... I figured it was something simple!

Thanks!


"Bart van den Burg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:biu0u5$mog$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xfv4b.12252$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > Using plain ol' html, how do I insert a subject line in the mailto: tag?
> >
> > I am currently using:
> >
> > Email <a href="mailto(E-Mail Removed)">parts@mywebsite. com</a> for

> more
> > information.
> >
> >
> > I would like to have it automatically insert predetermined text in the
> > subject line of the email.
> >
> > Thanks a million!
> >
> > Chuck
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
> >
> >

>
> You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the browser

will
> do with it
> Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so in that
> case:
> <A HREF="(E-Mail Removed)?subject=yourSubjec t">Mailme</A>
> But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........
>
> Bart
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
nice.guy.nige
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
While the city slept, Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly typed:
> "Bart van den Burg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:biu0u5$mog$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the
>> browser will do with it
>> Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so
>> in that case:
>> <A HREF="(E-Mail Removed)?subject=yourSubjec t">Mailme</A>
>> But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........

>
> Ok... I figured it was something simple!


You should read the following for some good advice on why this is a bad
idea...

How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help...#mailtosubject

The Mythical Mailto
http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

.... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...

How To Post in Newsgroups:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

.... Hope that helps,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!
http://www.nigenet.org.uk | Boycott E$$O!! http://www.stopesso.com
"How strange the change from major to minor..."


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
Am I not posting correctly?
If not, why?


"nice.guy.nige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bivsvp$ds57i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> While the city slept, Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly typed:
> > "Bart van den Burg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:biu0u5$mog$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> You shouldn't use mailto:, because you can never tell what the
> >> browser will do with it
> >> Internet Explorer and Outlook express work quite well together, so
> >> in that case:
> >> <A HREF="(E-Mail Removed)?subject=yourSubjec t">Mailme</A>
> >> But who knows what other browsers will do with it..........

> >
> > Ok... I figured it was something simple!

>
> You should read the following for some good advice on why this is a bad
> idea...
>
> How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
> http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help...#mailtosubject
>
> The Mythical Mailto
> http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html
>
> ... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...
>
> How To Post in Newsgroups:
> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>
> ... Hope that helps,
> Nige
>
> --
> Nigel Moss.
>
> Email address is not valid. (E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!
> http://www.nigenet.org.uk | Boycott E$$O!! http://www.stopesso.com
> "How strange the change from major to minor..."
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
William Tasso
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
Chuck wrote:
> "nice.guy.nige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bivsvp$ds57i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>
>>
>> ... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...
>>
>> How To Post in Newsgroups:
>> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>>

> Am I not posting correctly?


did you follow the link and read the page ?

> If not, why?


"why" is probably not the question you wish to ask.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
it when I get a chance.
From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.


As far as why, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want a answer...


Chuck



"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj0j51$e0gjb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Chuck wrote:
> > "nice.guy.nige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bivsvp$ds57i$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >>
> >>
> >> ... and the following for some good advice on how to post here...
> >>
> >> How To Post in Newsgroups:
> >> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
> >>

> > Am I not posting correctly?

>
> did you follow the link and read the page ?
>
> > If not, why?

>
> "why" is probably not the question you wish to ask.
>
> --
> William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
Chuck wrote:
> No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will read
> it when I get a chance.

If you don't have time to read a reasonably short article (no, it isn't
an article), then how do you have time to post to Usenet?
> From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply below the
> quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time to read it.
> If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
> I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.

And what reason is that? Annoying people?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
Chuck wrote:
> No, I didn't. At the moment I don't have time to read a novel. I will
> read it when I get a chance.
> From what I can tell it talks about posting my comments to a reply
> below the quoted text, but I'm not sure of this until I have the time
> to read it.


Yes, amongst other things. But that is the bit William was drawing your
attention to in particular.

> If that is the case, it ain't gonna happen.
> I reply with my text ABOVE the quoted text, and do so for a reason.
>


Which is? Please, do tell.

>
> As far as why, I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want a answer...
>


The article (no, not a novel) explains all...

--

Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UTF8 characters not appearing correctly in email subject line Andee Weir Java 10 08-13-2007 09:02 PM
Making Font Size Large on Message "Subject"Line Pane Herb Firefox 0 12-07-2005 01:54 AM
No Subject for this subject George MCAD 0 05-20-2005 10:19 AM
Add/Remove Programs Help Kinda Wierd Do Not Ignore Terrable Subject JustIgnore The Subject Oops Whatever Duh Samuel Townsend Computer Support 0 10-13-2004 12:49 AM
....thought provoking subject line..... RH81 HTML 10 09-15-2003 06:56 PM



Advertisments