Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > LINK tag

Reply
Thread Tools

LINK tag

 
 
Tomba
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
hi all,

I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
transitional.
I find it strange that with transitional 4.01 the w3c validator gets me an
error on this part:

Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
(explain...).
<link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />
I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the <head>.
Does anyone know how comes??

thanks already,
Steven DG
--
Webmaster of:
http://www.f1technical.net/
http://formule1.go2.be/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrienne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Tomba" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:3f5261dd$0$3676$(E-Mail Removed). be:

> hi all,
>
> I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
> transitional.
> I find it strange that with transitional 4.01 the w3c validator gets me
> an error on this part:
>
> Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
> (explain...).
> <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />
> I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the
> <head>. Does anyone know how comes??
>


There's probably some other element that is causing the problem. URL?

--
Adrienne Boswell
Please respond to the group so others can share
http://www.arbpen.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tomba
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
ok well I found it...thanks!

the problem is in <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
title="Search" /> the last two characters.
you should just write <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
title="Search">

"Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:Xns93E891AE81131arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Tomba" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:3f5261dd$0$3676$(E-Mail Removed). be:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
> > transitional.
> > I find it strange that with transitional 4.01 the w3c validator gets me
> > an error on this part:
> >
> > Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
> > (explain...).
> > <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />
> > I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the
> > <head>. Does anyone know how comes??
> >

>
> There's probably some other element that is causing the problem. URL?
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> Please respond to the group so others can share
> http://www.arbpen.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
Toby A Inkster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
Tomba wrote:

> I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
> transitional.


You are using HTML, but this is XHTML:

> <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />


--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/ | "You've got spam!"
playing://(nothing)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2003
Tomba wrote:>>

> ok well I found it...thanks!


> the problem is in <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
> title="Search" /> the last two characters.
> you should just write <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php"
> title="Search">


Because you tried closing the tag within the opening tag.
<link> and </link> not <link/>
<link/> would cause an error.



> "Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:Xns93E891AE81131arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158 ...
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Tomba" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> writing in news:3f5261dd$0$3676$(E-Mail Removed). be:
>>
> >> hi all,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if a LINK tag is actually good HTML in html 4.01
> >> transitional.
> >> I find it strange that with transitional 4.01 the w3c validator gets
> >> me an error on this part: Line 18, column 60: document type does not
> >>allow element "LINK" here (explain...). <link rel="search"
> >>href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" /> I am however quite sure
> >>it's correctly placed... that is within the <head>. Does anyone know
> >>how comes??

>>
>> There's probably some other element that is causing the problem. URL?
>>
>> --
>> Adrienne Boswell
>> Please respond to the group so others can share
>> http://www.arbpen.com




 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2003
"Tomba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Line 18, column 60: document type does not allow element "LINK" here
> (explain...).
> <link rel="search" href="./forum/search.php" title="Search" />


In practical terms, the problem is on the line right above that line.

> I am however quite sure it's correctly placed... that is within the
> <head>.


Then you are wrong. It is within the body element, which was implicitly
opened by the preceding character data ">".

Short help: Un-learn whatever you have learned about "modern" style of
using "/>" at the end of tags instead of ">".

Long help (for those who wish to reject the simple advice):
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html
(well, you just need to read the first three sections to get the general
idea).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how do u invoke Tag b's Tag Handler from within Tag a's tag Handler? shruds Java 1 01-27-2006 03:00 AM
RE: Link Link Link =?Utf-8?B?REw=?= Windows 64bit 0 05-17-2005 12:15 PM
Re: Link Link Link DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! Kevin Spencer ASP .Net 0 05-17-2005 10:41 AM
To vlan tag or not to tag? budyerr Cisco 1 07-08-2004 03:45 AM
How to embed the <jsp:plugin> tag into a tag handler class...HELP !! jstack Java 1 07-04-2003 06:58 PM



Advertisments