Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser with best CSS paged media support?

Browser with best CSS paged media support?

Stephen Poley

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:30:03 +0100, Andy Dingley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:52:38 +0100, "PeterMcC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I understood that the OP was planning on writing "... a business plan, which
>>needs to be printed on paper to be presented to the bank."

>So printed HTML is perfectly adequate.

I have to disagree here. There is for example no way to specify page
headers and footers in HTML (except to the extent that <TITLE> is used
for such).

If the aim is to provide universal access to information, use HTML. If
you want to produce a printed document, use a word-processor. (Doesn't
have to be Word, of course.) A question of appropriate tools for the
job.

If you want to provide something via HTML, but also give yourself the
best option for printing a reasonably presentable copy, then Opera 7
seems to provide the best support for the CSS page-break properties at
present.

--
Stephen Poley

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/

Laurens

Thanks everyone for their responses.

I'm using an application that helps you set up a business plan(essentially
it's just a questionnaire). Now the good thing about this program is that it
stores its data in an XML file. My initial plan was to write the sections of
the business plan not covered by the questionnaire in XHTML, transform the
questionnaire XML data using XSLT to XHTML, and finally merge the results in
one document. Instead, I went with XSL:FO, which I didn't have any
experience with until yesterday. I transform both my XHTML document and the
questionnaire data to XSL:FO and run it through Apache FOP to produce a PDF.
FOP may have its limitations, but it works well enough for my purposes. The
end result is as good as anything I can produce in Word.

Thanks
-Laurens

Stan Brown

In article <Xns93DC5F113DFEFjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31> in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html, Jukka K. Korpela
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Unfortunately the method of using CSS is still rather limited in that
>respect, though, depending on the nature of the document, it might work
>reasonably, if the page is printed Opera or Mozilla. The specifically
>page-oriented features of CSS work rather poorly at present, but for a
>business plan, it would probably be sufficient to create an edited copy
>of the page with "forced" page breaks (e.g. with page-break-before:
>always) using CSS. And this might mean that the author needs to work on
>that copy iteratively, using the Print Preview function of the browser
>to decide on the page breaks.

This is pretty much what I do with materials for my class, when
there is a particularly bad page break on the uncontrolled first
attempt at printing.

Be aware that Mozilla will not break pages on paper quite the same
as it does in Print Preview -- an annoying bug that is still with us
in 1.4 but I hope will be fixed un bel di.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Andrew Fedoniouk

"Laurens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhqp93$7b4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>

> Which browser has the best CSS paged media support? [1]
>
> I'm about to write a business plan, which needs to be printed on paper to

be
> presented to the bank. Now I cringe at doing this in Word, as I'm far more
> comfortable with hand-coding HTML and CSS(though I've never used the
> print-specific CSS elements).
>

> Thanks
> -Laurens
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/page.html

Andrew Fedoniouk

Stay with Word.
Or with TeX if you prefer to focus on coding rather then on content.

Microsoft Word document object model is the best for printing page layout.

Forget about page breaks in the HTML document.
They will be useful only when something like <PAGEBODY> will appear.
Currently they are just nothing.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://blocknote.net

e.item.cells and paged datagrid yer darn tootin ASP .Net 6 05-31-2005 11:03 AM
(Paged)DataSet and binding lc ASP .Net 0 11-02-2004 12:37 PM
"paged" CAM table hash Ben Low Cisco 2 10-05-2004 07:29 PM
Explorer navigation errors with non-paged or large paged DataGrid. Richard Pimentel ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 12-31-2003 06:32 PM
data from oledbdatreader can't paged by datagrid Yangtsi River ASP .Net 1 07-04-2003 02:32 PM

Advertisments