Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help Needed

Help Needed

David Dorward

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Surely:

No, well, probably not. Its certainly sub-optimal.

For XHTML, application/xhtml+xml is correct.

.... but MSIE doesn't support XHTML ...

See my previous post: <bhhstv$9cf$1$(E-Mail Removed)>

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Dirk Kruisheer

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhhstv$9cf$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dirk Kruisheer wrote:
>
> > - Cut the XML decaration <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> (some
> > browsers choke in it) and place instead <meta http-equiv="content-type"
> > content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the <head> element;

> No, don't.
>
> If you are going to use a meta tag to make statements about the content
> type, then use HTML. If you want to use XHTML then put the content type
> directives where they belong (in the http headers) where you can more
> easily have them correct (appliction/xhtml+xml) for supporting browsers

and
> in HTML compatability mode for older ones.
>
> --
> David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

This is where I got my wisdom (especially "1. Open with the proper DOCTYPE &
Namespace"):

http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/xhtml/guidelines.html

Dirk Kruisheer

Talc Ta Matt

>And the one you are referring at
>is full of tricks you should not try to emulate, such as slicing graphics.

Slicing graphics is not a trick. It's a very basic part of web design. Due to
how that cag.org page is laid out they had to be sliced. I'm not quite for sure
why someone would say not to do this, as there are no valid reasons not to.

Talc Ta Matt

>Looking at
>their start page, how was a lot of this created?

You are (in part) asking this in the wrong group. Alt.HTML is somewhat
anti-graphics. The regulars to this group like to concentrate on text and
general page content. Very simple looking stuff. Not heavy graphics. Do not let
this lead you to believe this is how all web designers feel. There are many
different design styles from all text to mostly graphics to mostly video.

Head over to a computer graphics group for actual graphics help.

How did they do that page?

It was most likely designed in Photoshop first, and then measurements were
taken from that for the page layout. Then you cut out the graphics and just
stick them within your layout.

That takes care of the graphics end. Now you've got the designated text areas
to work with as you normally would.

As for cag.org.... They seem to be using mostly this layout...

http://www.cag.org/evangelism/knowjesus/

But they've also got this layout on some pages, which is better in terms of it
having more potential...

http://www.cag.org/evangelism/knowjesus/t3/index.shtml

Toby A Inkster

David Dorward wrote:

> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>> Surely:

> No, well, probably not. Its certainly sub-optimal.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary

Not that any browsers respect the MIME type in he meta tag anyway.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)