Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help Needed

Help Needed

Brian

I am pretty much a neophyte HTML/XHTML person but I am finally away from
using FrontPage.

I have made several functional but ugly web sites, one of which is
www.cornerstoneassembly.net and our Pastor would it to look like kind of
like www.cag.org (just a coincidence that it has same name.) He would like a
"family" motif but we both don't want to "copy or borrow" code. Looking at
their start page, how was a lot of this created? Should I get some pictures
and make a collage of them in Photoshop, etc?

The site as it is now is just so plain...any suggestions (and please be
critical) are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian

Just noticed the Dreamweaver and Fireworks lines too. Hmmm...

news:bhg7rg$dtsc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I am pretty much a neophyte HTML/XHTML person but I am finally away from
> using FrontPage.
>
> I have made several functional but ugly web sites, one of which is
> www.cornerstoneassembly.net and our Pastor would it to look like kind of
> like www.cag.org (just a coincidence that it has same name.) He would like

> "family" motif but we both don't want to "copy or borrow" code. Looking at
> their start page, how was a lot of this created? Should I get some

pictures
> and make a collage of them in Photoshop, etc?
>
> The site as it is now is just so plain...any suggestions (and please be
> critical) are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Jukka K. Korpela

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am pretty much a neophyte HTML/XHTML person

What's HTML/XHTML? Wait... is makes 1/X, doesn't it? Or is it just
division by zero.

> I have made several functional but ugly web sites, one of which is
> www.cornerstoneassembly.net - -
> The site as it is now is just so plain...

Are you just trying to get hits, or what? I hit the Stop button when I
saw that my browser was loading some large images on a page with little
textual content. But it managed to download some slideshow. Oh my,
thanks for reminding me that I had carelessly left scripting enabled.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Brian

Sorry..I was expecting objective, constructive help from this newsgroup.

news:Xns93D7C101DF197jkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31. ..

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sorry..I was expecting objective, constructive help from this
> newsgroup.

Welcome to Usenet. Thank you for implicitly giving your definition of
"constructive" with the upside-down fullquote. Also thank you for
confirming my initial impression. HTH. HAND.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Dirk Kruisheer

news:bhg7rg$dtsc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I am pretty much a neophyte HTML/XHTML person but I am finally away from
> using FrontPage.
>
> I have made several functional but ugly web sites, one of which is
> www.cornerstoneassembly.net and our Pastor would it to look like kind of
> like www.cag.org (just a coincidence that it has same name.) He would like

> "family" motif but we both don't want to "copy or borrow" code. Looking at
> their start page, how was a lot of this created? Should I get some

pictures
> and make a collage of them in Photoshop, etc?
>
> The site as it is now is just so plain...any suggestions (and please be
> critical) are appreciated.

Your site isn't really that bad, I think. And the one you are referring at
is full of tricks you should not try to emulate, such as slicing graphics.

Why not:

- Change font-family: times, helvetica, arial; to font-family: arial,
helvetica, sans-serif; in your style sheet;

- Reedit the graphics in order to make them 1) lighter (in weight) and 2)
fit in the area assigned to them;

- Cut the XML decaration <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> (some
browsers choke in it) and place instead <meta http-equiv="content-type"
content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the <head> element;

- Validate your site at http://www.htmlhelp.com/ and/or at
http://www.w3.org/;

- Buy an inspiring book such as _Eric Meyer on CSS_
(http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/);

- Use your own site as a starting point;

- And keep coming back!

Dirk

Brian

Thanks for your suggestions. Printing out now. I MAY look into Fireworks
eventually, but I want to learn most of this "by hand" first.

Thanks again and I WILL be back!

"Dirk Kruisheer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f3bd98d$0$31053$(E-Mail Removed)4al l.nl...

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bhg7rg$dtsc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I am pretty much a neophyte HTML/XHTML person but I am finally away from
> > using FrontPage.
> >
> > I have made several functional but ugly web sites, one of which is
> > www.cornerstoneassembly.net and our Pastor would it to look like kind of
> > like www.cag.org (just a coincidence that it has same name.) He would

like
> > "family" motif but we both don't want to "copy or borrow" code. Looking

at
> > their start page, how was a lot of this created? Should I get some

> pictures
> > and make a collage of them in Photoshop, etc?
> >
> > The site as it is now is just so plain...any suggestions (and please be
> > critical) are appreciated.
> >

> Your site isn't really that bad, I think. And the one you are referring at
> is full of tricks you should not try to emulate, such as slicing graphics.
>
> Why not:
>
> - Change font-family: times, helvetica, arial; to font-family: arial,
> helvetica, sans-serif; in your style sheet;
>
> - Reedit the graphics in order to make them 1) lighter (in weight) and 2)
> fit in the area assigned to them;
>
> - Cut the XML decaration <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> (some
> browsers choke in it) and place instead <meta http-equiv="content-type"
> content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the <head> element;
>
> - Validate your site at http://www.htmlhelp.com/ and/or at
> http://www.w3.org/;
>
> - Buy an inspiring book such as _Eric Meyer on CSS_
> (http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/);
>
> - Use your own site as a starting point;
>
> - And keep coming back!
>
> Dirk

Dirk Kruisheer

> > - Cut the XML decaration <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> (some
> > browsers choke in it) and place instead <meta http-equiv="content-type"
> > content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the <head> element;

Sorry,

The meta-tag should be closed in an orderly XHTML fashion of course:

i.e. with space-backslash.

See you around,

Dirk

David Dorward

Dirk Kruisheer wrote:

> - Cut the XML decaration <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> (some
> browsers choke in it) and place instead <meta http-equiv="content-type"
> content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in the <head> element;

No, don't.

If you are going to use a meta tag to make statements about the content
type, then use HTML. If you want to use XHTML then put the content type
directives where they belong (in the http headers) where you can more
easily have them correct (appliction/xhtml+xml) for supporting browsers and
in HTML compatability mode for older ones.

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Dirk Kruisheer

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Dirk Kruisheer wrote:

> Surely:

You're right,