Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: (CSS) Aligning signed numbers in cells

Re: (CSS) Aligning signed numbers in cells

Jukka K. Korpela

Gnarlodious <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a way to center numbers in a column (CSS) of cells
> disregarding the negative sign?

Not really.

> You can see what I mean here in the "Cartesian" column:
> http://www.Spectrumology.com/Space/TetralGrid.html

With quite some pain, yes. The use of dark text on black background makes
the page _very_ hard to read, even if I set font size to "Largest".

> I'd like to center the blue numbers according to the digit and not the
> sign.

To _what_ digit? It seems that you would actually want to align the column
according to the decimal separator (decimal point or decimal comma). That
would be _theoretically_ possible both in CSS and in HTML, but it's really
not worth trying, since current browsers don't even try to support that.

Special alignment of table cells or other elements is sometimes possible
using kludges, like using leading or trailing no-break spaces in element
content so that left or right alignment produces the desired effect for
visual content. But this would in practice require using monospace font
too.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/