Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: (X)HTML Strict WYSIWYG?

Re: (X)HTML Strict WYSIWYG?

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest wrote:

> Oh yea,I forgot, how you think anything in the entertainment business is
> nothing more than a niche, or a fluke. Mighty big niche, since over 1
> billion dollars have been spent in the US in the last 90 days on movies
> alone. Yea, Baby, give me a piece of that entertainment industry pie...

The entertainment industry is a niche. The technology industry is far
bigger.

Check out the Forbes 500:
http://www.forbes.com/2003/03/26/500sland.html

You'll notice that the top 10 includes Verizon Communications (large ISP)
and IBM. No entertainment companies.

Expanding our view to the top 25 companies, we include SBC Communications
and Microsoft, but still no entertainment companies.

Going on to the top 50, we get Intel and then lo and behold our first
Entertainment company (although it's a distributor rather than a record
label or movie studio) - Viacom. Then we have Bell South and Cisco before
we get to Disney, and finally AT&T and Dell and then we're at the end of
the top 50.

In summary:

Forbes Top 10 - 2 technology companies, 0 entertainment companies
Forbes Top 25 - 4 technology companies, 0 entertainment companies
Forbes Top 50 - 7 technology companies, 2 entertainment companies

Entertainment is a cottage industry compared to technology. If you think
the entertainment business is going to engulf the web, think again -- it's
likely to be the other way around.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)

Toby A Inkster

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> Forbes Top 50 - 7 technology companies, 2 entertainment companies

^

Can't count. Should be 9.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)
playing://(nothing)

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Whitecrest wrote:
> > Oh yea,I forgot, how you think anything in the entertainment business is
> > nothing more than a niche, or a fluke. Mighty big niche, since over 1
> > billion dollars have been spent in the US in the last 90 days on movies
> > alone. Yea, Baby, give me a piece of that entertainment industry pie...

> The entertainment industry is a niche. The technology industry is far
> bigger.....

So what is there is something bigger. Who gives a ****. It is still a
multi billion dollar industry.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest wrote:
> Toby wrote:
>> The entertainment industry is a niche. The technology industry is far
>> bigger.....

> So what is there is something bigger. Who gives a ****. It is still a
> multi billion dollar industry.

Well, you were claiming that the huge entertainment industry would (has?)
engulf (engulfed?) the Internet:

> Especially since the Web has become an extension of TV, video, and
> marketing.

This is clearly not the case, nor will it become the case, as the
entertainment industry is simply nowhere near the size of the technology
industry.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)
playing://(nothing)

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > So what is there is something bigger. Who gives a ****. It is still a
> > multi billion dollar industry.

> Well, you were claiming that the huge entertainment industry would (has?)
> engulf (engulfed?) the Internet:

> > Especially since the Web has become an extension of TV, video, and
> > marketing.

> This is clearly not the case, nor will it become the case, as the
> entertainment industry is simply nowhere near the size of the technology
> industry.

The web has obviously become an extension of TV, video, and marketing.
If it wasn't that way, you would not see a www.... at the end of every
commercial and at the bottom of every ad in a magazine. Open your eyes
and look. This includes some of your precious technology industry.
Yep, they use flash, and javascript too. (Please look for yourself)

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest wrote:

> The web has obviously become an extension of TV, video, and marketing.
> If it wasn't that way, you would not see a www.... at the end of every
> commercial and at the bottom of every ad in a magazine.

The web has obviously become an extension of Pizzarias and Hamburger
restaurants. If it wasn't that way, you would not see a www... on Pizza
Hut and Macdonalds menus.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)
playing://(nothing)

Isofarro

Whitecrest wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> > So what is there is something bigger. Who gives a ****. It is still a
>> > multi billion dollar industry.

>> Not on the web.

> But they ALL have web pages.

Irrelevant.

--
Iso.
Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

Isofarro

Whitecrest wrote:

> The web has obviously become an extension of TV, video,

This is just overhyped nonsense. Your favourite sites do nothing more that a
dog marking out its territory by ****ing on trees.

--
Iso.
Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Not on the web.

> > But they ALL have web pages.

> Irrelevant.

Please explain how it is irrelevant that they have web pages.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Whitecrest

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> This is just overhyped nonsense.

Please explain how it is overhyped nonsense.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com