Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote

Re: Avoiding double spacing before a blockquote

Headless

"Fred Camper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Taking your advice,

What advice? Don't post a new message, follow up to the thread you are
referring to.

>To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem is,
>when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
>searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
>this tag" command; is there one?

..inline{display:inline}

<h2 class="inline">Inline header</h2>

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

Headless

Headless <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem is,
>>when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break. Maybe I'm not
>>searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break the line at
>>this tag" command; is there one?

>.inline{display:inline}
>
><h2 class="inline">Inline header</h2>

Or better:

..run-in{display:run-in}

<h2 class="run-in">Run-in header</h2>

But only Opera supports that.

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

William Tasso

Fred Camper wrote:
> Taking your advice, I've made this
>
> h2 {
> font-size: 80%;
> margin-bottom:0em;
> margin-top:0em;
> font-weight:normal}
>
> To change the font size to the smaller text I sometimes want. Problem
> is, when I put <h2> into the text, it causes a line break.

CSS:
span { font-size: 80%;}

HTML:

> Maybe I'm
> not searching the right place, but I couldn't find a "do not break
> the line at this tag" command; is there one?

for block items like h2 etc.

CSS: {display:inline;}

> Also, are you recommending em and strong for pages using CSS, or for
> all HTML pages?

All HTML pages.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Fred Camper

"Headless" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Fred Camper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Taking your advice,

> What advice? Don't post a new message, follow up to the thread you are
> referring to.

I'm a little confused here, or you are: the message right above mine in the
thread from Adrienne was the one I was resonding to.

BUT, your advice worked just fine, and I thank you very very much. Again I
spent an hour or two searching around without success. Maybe if I knew more
about CSS I would have been able to solve this myself, but anyway, now I've
been able to get the one page I was working on to look just as I wanted. So,
thanks again!

Fred

William Tasso

Fred Camper wrote:
> "Headless" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Fred Camper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Taking your advice,

>> What advice? Don't post a new message, follow up to the thread you
>> are referring to.

> I'm a little confused here, or you are: the message right above mine
> in the thread from Adrienne was the one I was resonding to.

Not all news group readers are the same.
Many folk read each post in timestamp sequence.
News servers often miss posts.

Research with your favourite search engine, but here's a starter: <
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post >

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Headless

"Fred Camper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Please take a look at these:
>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN2.html
>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN3.html

Terrible markup, an attempt at correction:

http://www.headless.dna.ie/test/fred.htm

Headless

--
Email and usenet filter list: http://www.headless.dna.ie/usenet.htm

Headless

Headless <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Fred Camper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Please take a look at these:
>>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN2.html
>>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN3.html

>Terrible markup, an attempt at correction:
>
>http://www.headless.dna.ie/test/fred.htm

I should add that my markup is also pretty awful, this is because IE and
Moz fail to support the proper way to do this (run-in headers), and the
&nbsp;'s are to counter an IE white space bug (I'm assuming that you
want it to work in IE).

Headless

--

Fred Camper wrote:
> Please take a look at these:
> http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN2.html
> http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN3.html

Examples:
http://williamtasso.com/usenet/filmography.html
--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Fred Camper

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. As I said in replying to Headless, I'm
sure it's evident that I have no idea what I'm doing, and I appreciate your
time. Since this is a very large page, around 400 lines, separating things
into columns using a table is a good suggestion.

If you're tired of replying to this, I understand, but what you haven't done
is shown me how to display a smaller font size in the same line without
using the font size=-1 command, which does it just fine but which I've been
told not to use in this CSS page. As I said above, my example at
http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN2.html incorporating your previous
suggestion does do this in IE 6.0 but fails in one of the "test" texts in
Netscape 7.0, and displays it on another line, and I cannot figure out why.
It's very tempting to just use font size, which does seem to work in both. I
wonder if this is just some Netsacpe bug.

Fred

Headless

"Fred Camper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Point of order: follow up to a previous message, don't post a new
message.

>But, your test just doesn't accomplish what I want, however "terrible" my
>own markup is. What I'm trying to do is to display an 80 per cent font in
>the same line as a 100 per cent font.

The problem is that it's impossible to markup silly content that makes
no sense such as "test", so I removed it.

>In my version, at
>http://www.fredcamper.com/T/FilmographyN3.html, that happens fine in IE, and
>fine most of the time in Netscape, but sometimes in Netscape 7.0 the "test"
>smaller font is displayed on the next line -- something that doesn't happen
>when I get the smaller font size with the font size=-1 command, which I've
>been advised here not to use. Now, on your page, at
>http://www.headless.dna.ie/test/fred.htm.
>though the "test" words that are supposed to be 80 per cent are in your
>code, for some reason they don't show up on the screen at all in Netscape or
>IE.

I've redone the example, this time I based it on IE's display (assuming
that this is what you would like it to look like). Try it again: