Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: HTML in email

Re: HTML in email

Zak McGregor

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:43:25 +0200, Cogito <"Cogito"
<(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:

> What needs to be changed or added to standard HTML code to make it work
> in email?

Email is a plain text format.

Ciao
Zak

http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs

Nico Schuyt

Zak McGregor wrote:
> Email is a plain text format.

That was 5 years ago

Nico Schuyt

EightNineThree wrote:
> "Nico Schuyt wrote
>> Zak McGregor wrote:
>>> Email is a plain text format.

>> That was 5 years ago

> <Long list of disadvantages of HTML Email and advantages of plain text>

OK, thanks for the links.
In general I know the disadvantages.
I think however that the advantages like professional presentation exceed
the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is very
efficient in discussions with customers or in instructing them.
With a good virusscanner and firewall I think the riscs are acceptable.
Regards, Nico

Chris Morris

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is very

The _possibility_ to *highlight* text?

Some programs can be configured to automatically translate that into
underlined and bold. How many sorts of highlighting do you need?

--
Chris

EightNineThree

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f28a862$0$28909$(E-Mail Removed)...
> EightNineThree wrote:

> >> That was 5 years ago

> > <Long list of disadvantages of HTML Email and advantages of plain text>

> OK, thanks for the links.
> In general I know the disadvantages.
> I think however that the advantages like professional presentation exceed
> the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is very
> efficient in discussions with customers or in instructing them.
> With a good virusscanner and firewall I think the riscs are acceptable.
> Regards, Nico

The advice I give is twofold -
1) ALWAYS give the recipient a choice before sending them HTML email. Since
HTML email is mostly used for newsletters, this option can be presented
during the opt-in process. If people aren't actively opting themselves in
for the newsletter then that means the sender is a spammer and should be
hung by their entrails.
2) Take the audience into consideration. If most of the audience is using
IE6 and Outlook, then its a good bet that they're stupid enough to accept
HTML email. If the audience mostly uses *nix, then you'll probably want to
avoid HTML email. For the most part, they're not using mail clients that get
HTML email and the ones that can are smart enough to know why they shouldn't
use it.

--
Karl Core

Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.

Nico Schuyt

Chris Morris wrote:
> "Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is
>> very

> The _possibility_ to *highlight* text?

Ehhh, if you send this to a potential customer you probably loose a client.

> Some programs can be configured to automatically translate that into
> underlined and bold.
> How many sorts of highlighting do you need?

Many. Think of a revision of a document where a couple of persons are
involved.
Regards, Nico

Chris Morris

"Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Chris Morris wrote:
> > "Nico Schuyt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> the negative arguments. Also, the possibility to highlight text is
> >> very

> > The _possibility_ to *highlight* text?

> Ehhh, if you send this to a potential customer you probably loose a client.

Likewise if you send a HTML email to a potential customer using a
client that doesn't (or has been configured not to) support it.

> > How many sorts of highlighting do you need?

> Many. Think of a revision of a document where a couple of persons are
> involved.

I wouldn't handle that solely over email if at all possible, but when
I've had to the standard '> ' quoting conventions have been fine. And
how many HTML email clients support <ins> and <del> in any meaningful
way anyway - without that I'm not sure how the change from text to
HTML really makes document revision tracking easier (plus you only
need one person involved in the revision using a plain-text mode
client and it starts to go very wrong).

--
Chris

Nico Schuyt

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote:
>> Chris Morris wrote:

>>> Likewise if you send a HTML email to a potential customer using a
>>> client that doesn't (or has been configured not to) support it.

>> Never met one so far (maybe because I don't have so many customers
>> and can't imagine someone is upset because someone sends him an
>> HTML-mail. In fact I've sent several thousands of HTML emails to
>> hundreds of persons in the last 3 years and never heard someone
>> complain.

> Perhaps many of your hundreds of clients do not display the HTML and
> only the text. Or... perhaps they have filters set to send HTML mail
> directly to the bit bucket. Like mine <g>.
> <snip>

One of my customers does HTML mailings (300-400 messages) every two weeks
with the MySQL-database on his site and a PHP program I wrote. It's
important information for the receivers. Still no complaints about not
receiving it or about other problems.

>> On the other hand, if I send a complex message as an Word
>> attachment, I notice that people have problems opening it.

> Heh, while most people use Winders and IE, quite a bit less actually
> have Word installed. Anyone have a guess as to percentage? I also
> receive Word docs - and Powerpoint files - from people who have no
> idea if I have any software to read it.

Problem is not that people don't have MS-Word. A lot of them don't know how
to open it after receiving a mail.
Same problem with pictures.

Regards, Nico

Kris

In article <HddWa.54860$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Heh, while most people use Winders and IE, quite a bit less actually have
> Word installed. Anyone have a guess as to percentage? I also receive Word
> docs - and Powerpoint files - from people who have no idea if I have any
> software to read it.

That is because they don't use Word; they 'use Windows'. And they don't
use IE; they 'start the Internet'.

--
Kris
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)

Cogito

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:50:51 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kris pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
>> In article <HddWa.54860$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Heh, while most people use Winders and IE, quite a bit less actually have
>> > Word installed. Anyone have a guess as to percentage? I also receive Word
>> > docs - and Powerpoint files - from people who have no idea if I have any
>> > software to read it.

>> That is because they don't use Word; they 'use Windows'. And they don't
>> use IE; they 'start the Internet'.

><ROF,L> Funny, but true...
>
>"What do you mean 'other browsers?' What's a browser?"

Hey guys,
Instead of all this idle chatter can someone actually tell me how to
send html-email?