Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS Validator not working?

CSS Validator not working?

Marc

I tried to validate

http://portsmouth.anglican.org/readers/home/index.php

and

http://portsmouth.anglican.org/reade...e/stylessc.css

at

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

but they both take a long time, and then give the error:

Error
Target: http://www.portsmouth.anglican.org/r...home/index.php
I/O Error: Unable to contact target server www.portsmouth.anglican.org:80
after 3 tries.

Any Ideas?

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...2&profile=css2

Thanks,

Marc

Marc

> <advice type="unsolicited">
>
> I had a glance at
> http://portsmouth.anglican.org/readers/home/index.php
>
> Hmmm, methinks A nice looking site. Scales nicely to different canvas
> dimensions.
>
> Then I changed my font size. I could not quite read your navigation (my
> eyes, you know).
>
> You have made the most important part of your site, the navigaion, fixed
> size. Why? The rest of the site is quite cleary designed to be scalable to
> the viewers preferances of canvas size and font size. Why not the
> navigation.
>
> Of course when I use my accessibility options to ignore your font sizes

the
> navigation bar, as expected, becomes even more unusable, the bottom part

of
> it disappears under the picture of a goblet.
>
> Does God think that only people with good eyesight should be able to
> navigate your site? (*)
>
> </advice>

Thanks Richard - I've sorted this.

When I was fiddling with the design, I used fixed sizes as a temporary
measure to experiment - looks like I missed this one when I took all the
fixed sizes out.

Any other comments / 'swipes' ?

Marc

Jukka K. Korpela

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Target: http://www.portsmouth.anglican.org/r...home/index.php
> I/O Error: Unable to contact target server
> www.portsmouth.anglican.org:80 after 3 tries.

This means that the "CSS Validator" software tried to fetch the target
from your server, but this failed even after two retries. It indicates
a problem in the connection between two computers, nothing else.
Usually such conditions are temporary, and there's usually nothing you
can do about it try again later. The fact that you got the message
indicates that the "CSS Validator" software _is_ working; it just can't
get its work done, since it lacks the raw material (the page to be
checked).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Marc

> > Target: http://www.portsmouth.anglican.org/r...home/index.php
> > I/O Error: Unable to contact target server
> > www.portsmouth.anglican.org:80 after 3 tries.

> This means that the "CSS Validator" software tried to fetch the target
> from your server, but this failed even after two retries. It indicates
> a problem in the connection between two computers, nothing else.
> Usually such conditions are temporary, and there's usually nothing you
> can do about it try again later. The fact that you got the message
> indicates that the "CSS Validator" software _is_ working; it just can't
> get its work done, since it lacks the raw material (the page to be
> checked).

Thanks Yucca, it worked later - must have been a temporary problem
somewhere.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, rf <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly typed:

> Does God think that only people with good eyesight should be able to
> navigate your site?

He moves in mysterious ways...

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!
"How strange the change from major to minor..."