Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > <pdf src=

Reply
Thread Tools

<pdf src=

 
 
Mevlut
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2003
I want to show a .pdf in a htmp-page like an image.
How?
~

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2003
Mevlut wrote:

> I want to show a .pdf in a htmp-page like an image.


<object data="/pdfs/mypdf.pdf" type="application/pdf" standby="Loading a
PDF" width="300" height="450">

<p>My <a href="/pdfs/mypdf.pdf">PDF file</a></p>

</object>

.... browser support probably sucks, but I haven't tested it.

--
David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mevlut
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2003


David Dorward wrote:
> Mevlut wrote:
>
>
>>I want to show a .pdf in a htmp-page like an image.

>
>
> <object data="/pdfs/mypdf.pdf" type="application/pdf" standby="Loading a
> PDF" width="300" height="450">
>
> <p>My <a href="/pdfs/mypdf.pdf">PDF file</a></p>
>
> </object>
>
> ... browser support probably sucks, but I haven't tested it.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2003
Mevlut <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I want to show a .pdf in a htmp-page like an image.
> How?


Why? And what's htmp, and why do you write a Subject line containing
some fantasy markup instead of telling what the problem is?

Depending on what you really want, either forget the idea (most
probably this is what you should do) or use some screen capture
software and put a capture of the PDF document display into the HTML
page via <img ...> or, in very rare cases, use <iframe> with a link to
the PDF document as fallback.

So most probably you should stop wanting that and consider (and perhaps
explain) what you are really doing and trying to accomplish. Why not
just link to the PDF file or, better still, if it's _your_ material (or
public domain), convert it into HTML?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mevlut
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2003


Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Mevlut <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I want to show a .pdf in a htmp-page like an image.
>>How?

>
>
> Why? And what's htmp, and why do you write a Subject line containing
> some fantasy markup instead of telling what the problem is?
>

htmp is miss spelled html. You do understand my subject line.

> Depending on what you really want, either forget the idea (most
> probably this is what you should do) or use some screen capture
> software and put a capture of the PDF document display into the HTML
> page via <img ...> or, in very rare cases, use <iframe> with a link to
> the PDF document as fallback.
>

Until now I use the iframe.
> So most probably you should stop wanting that and consider (and perhaps
> explain) what you are really doing and trying to accomplish. Why not
> just link to the PDF file or, better still, if it's _your_ material (or
> public domain), convert it into HTML?
>

The files are delivered in pdf format. Some of them are BIG. Pdf is easy
to save. Converting to html is a hell of a job. I don't think I've to
explain why I want to integrate a pdf in html. I just want.
There is a suggestion in this thread. I will test it tomorrow.
~

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Morris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-27-2003
Mevlut <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I don't think I've to explain why I want to integrate a pdf in
> html. I just want.


Not necessarily. The method used to do something might (and often
does) depend on *why* you want that doing.

For example, the method to 'make text big and bold' might be 'use
stylesheets to set it' generally, or might be 'use <hX>' if you're
wanting the text big and bold to represent headings, or might be
something else for a different reason again.

So an explanation of why might get you a better suggestion for what.

--
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-28-2003
Mevlut <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> htmp is miss spelled html.


You want help, you take the trouble of writing your message clearly and
correctly. Occasionally you may get help even if you show that you
don't care about wasting your readers' time, but don't expect it to
last.

> You do understand my subject line.


I understand that you play with fantasy markup.

> Until now I use the iframe.


And you didn't tell _even that_ (not to mention a URL). Neither do you
explain now what you want that iframe does not "do".

> I don't think
> I've to explain why I want to integrate a pdf in html. I just want.


As you like.

> There is a suggestion in this thread. I will test it tomorrow.


As you like. It is fairly obvious that it is a dead end and even worse
than iframe in practice, although it was _theoretically_ a correct
answer to your question under _some_ interpretation.

So given your attitude and the exactness of your problem description,
I suggest that you throw yourself on the floor and scream as loud as
you can "I want! I want". If that does not help, hold your breath
until the reality around you changes.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
Pages about Web authoring: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments