Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: XHTML

Re: XHTML

Nick Theodorakis

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:05:02 +0200, "Thomas Smit" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anyone have statistics on how widely the industry has begun adopting
>XHTML and how may sites have been converted to this language?

I dunno, but there are an awful lot of sites that just take their old
table-based tag-soup layout, slap an xhtml1.0 transitional doctype on
top, serve it up as text as per appendix c, and use the kewl slash
thingys ( />) and somehow that's supposed to be better than a well
structured html 4.01 strict document.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

Jukka K. Korpela

(E-Mail Removed) (Nick Theodorakis) wrote:

> I dunno, but there are an awful lot of sites that just take their old
> table-based tag-soup layout, slap an xhtml1.0 transitional doctype on
> top, serve it up as text as per appendix c, and use the kewl slash
> thingys ( />) and somehow that's supposed to be better than a well
> structured html 4.01 strict document.

You forgot to mention that their _correct_ style sheets stop working
correctly, when IE 6 seriously mishandles them, just because they wrote
their XHTML according to specifications. Doctype sniffing is a grossly
perverse idea that has been implemented in differently incompetent ways
in different browsers, but it's when you try to use XHTML and CSS
exactly as specified in W3C recommendations when it really attacks you.
(See http://www.hut.fi/~hsivonen/doctype.html )

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/