Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > page cannot be found

page cannot be found

shank

I have a login page where a new user can click on a Register button (below)
to get to a newaccount.asp page. This has been working without a problem for
many months. All of a sudden, I have a new customer that clicks the button
and she gets "page cannot be found". She has a new computer with IE 6.0 on
comcast.net cable modem. While I'm on the phone with her, I get the page and
she doesn't. Why? What's wrong with the code? We register many users each
day.

Note: If the user puts the address: https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
in her address bar - she gets the page.

<input name="NewAccount" type="button" id="7" value="Register"
onClick="document.frmLogin.action='https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp';
document.frmLogin.submit()" style="width:130">

rf

"shank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Yv%Ta.151478$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> I have a login page where a new user can click on a Register button

(below)
> to get to a newaccount.asp page. This has been working without a problem

for
> many months. All of a sudden, I have a new customer that clicks the button
> and she gets "page cannot be found". She has a new computer with IE 6.0 on
> comcast.net cable modem. While I'm on the phone with her, I get the page

and
> she doesn't. Why? What's wrong with the code? We register many users each
> day.
>
> Note: If the user puts the address:

https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
> in her address bar - she gets the page.

I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

tracert times out just after this:
csr11-ve243.Tukwilase2.cw.net [216.34.64.147]

BTW this is from Australia.

Methinks IE6 is misrepresenting a timeout as a 404.

Cheers
Richard.

brucie

In post <vD%Ta.13407$(E-Mail Removed)>
rf said...

>> Note: If the user puts the address:

> https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
>> in her address bar - she gets the page.

> I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

i think the OP just made up the domain name instead of using the
accepted 'example.com' which makes it hard to determine what the
problems is without a URI.

--
brucie a. blackford. 25/July/2003 11:26:21 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

rf

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1djgwcade43q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In post <vD%Ta.13407$(E-Mail Removed)>
> rf said...
>
> >> Note: If the user puts the address:

> > https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
> >> in her address bar - she gets the page.

> > I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

> i think the OP just made up the domain name instead of using the
> accepted 'example.com' which makes it hard to determine what the
> problems is without a URI.

I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then

How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of code?

Cheers
Richard.

William Tasso

rf wrote:
> "brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1djgwcade43q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In post <vD%Ta.13407$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> rf said...

>>> https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp

>>> I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

>> i think the OP just made up the domain name ...

> I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then
>
> How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of
> code?

crystal ball broken? here, borrow mine - I can't get it to work today
anyway.

--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

rf

"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfq3fe$f8e0p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> rf wrote:
> > "brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:1djgwcade43q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> In post <vD%Ta.13407$(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> rf said...

> >> i think the OP just made up the domain name ...

> > I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then
> >
> > How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of
> > code?

> crystal ball broken? here, borrow mine - I can't get it to work today
> anyway.

Hey, thanks William. All becomes clear now. Brucie was correct twice today

The user has javascript disabled and the forms action points to somewhere
like "rubbish". Without javascript the input fields on click event never
fires, the user presses enter and the browsers default of submitting the
form kicks in, still pointing to "rubbish". This will be confirmed when the
user tells us that the url for the 404 is, in fact,
http://www.mydomain.com/rubbish. Whether or not there is a submit button on
the form may not matter.

A perfect example of the wisdom of assigning mission critical functions
(like getting new clients) to client side scripting.

How close to the truth am I shank?

Cheers
Richard.