Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > no <label> in Netscape 6?

no <label> in Netscape 6?

e n | c k m a

Hey,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was looking for a quick fix I
suppose. Netscape 6.2 doesn't seem to be able to support the <label> tag -
it just doesn't display them AT ALL [as if they don't exist] on a web form.

Netscape 7.1 works fine - I haven't tried other Netscape browsers.

Is there a fix I could use for this?
Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Bill Mason

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:38:43 GMT, "e n | c k m a" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was looking for a quick fix I
>suppose. Netscape 6.2 doesn't seem to be able to support the <label> tag -
>it just doesn't display them AT ALL [as if they don't exist] on a web form.
>
>Netscape 7.1 works fine - I haven't tried other Netscape browsers.
>
>Is there a fix I could use for this?
>Thanks in advance,

They can work in 6.2 - they work on my site. But there were old bugs
that made them vanish depending on what kind of CSS formatting you try
to do with them, particularly with positioning or floating I think it
was.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet
http://www.accessibleinter.net/

Kris

In article <IlFTa.10800$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"e n | c k m a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> Do you have to use span or can you use div as well?

Sure. Or <p>. Whatever suits the content. I tend to use <span> because
it is 'a last hope' when my markup is already as clean and appropriate
as I can get it. This is also merely an example that goes in a lot of
situations, but probably not in all.

> Also, can the lbl class
> contain the float attribute?

Yes, that is the point.
..lbl { float: left; width: 12em; }

> Do you have to specifically use 'lbl' in the class definition as well?

Yes. See CSS above.

--
Kris
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)

Brian

Kris wrote:

> [...]

Get out! You mean N6 only chokes on the tag?! <sigh> Thanks, I
would never have imagined.

> <sarcasm>Or do what the clueless do, don't use LABEL and CSS at
> all. After all, it is not supported really.</sarcasm >

<sarcasm class="very">yeah, css is broken, it doesn't work as good as
table layouts. table layouts make things look the same in all
browsers.</sarcasm>

--
Brian
follow the directions in my address to email me

Kris

In article <lYYTa.122030$GL4.32524@rwcrnsc53>,
Brian <(E-Mail Removed)-remove-this-part> wrote:

> Get out! You mean N6 only chokes on the tag?! <sigh> Thanks, I
> would never have imagined.

No, N6 chokes whenapplying CSS positioning or floats on LABEL. It makes
it dissapear.

> > <sarcasm>Or do what the clueless do, don't use LABEL and CSS at
> > all. After all, it is not supported really.</sarcasm >

> <sarcasm class="very">yeah, css is broken, it doesn't work as good as
> table layouts. table layouts make things look the same in all
> browsers.</sarcasm>

<sarcasm>Which enables our kind to exert even more control over those
stupid cows of visitors. Clearly our precious artistic talents need to
be forced upon them, for they cannot make any decision themselves nor
are allowed to have any preference. Which reminds me to strongly
encourage taking over the user's browser as well, by raining down popup
and popunder windows, resize their browser, auto-adding bookmarks, hide
the status bar content, breaking the back button and changing their GUI
elements, like scrollbars and form-controls. Now, close your eyes and
count to 666.</sarcasm>

--
Kris