Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > fonts

fonts

Loren Waddle

I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really asking
is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in advance.

-Loren

brucie

In post <b5ESa.94810$GL4.25640@rwcrnsc53>
Loren Waddle said...

> The font is Onyx and can be found here:
> http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really asking
> is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free.

http://www.highfonts.com/fontsearch.asp?ord=onyx

be sure to check the copyright info to see if your use is permitted.

--
brucie a. blackford. 21/July/2003 08:01:54 am kilo.
http://loser.brucies.com/

Richard

"Loren Waddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
> expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
> http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really

asking
> is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in advance.
>
> -Loren

Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's close to
it.
Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
domain and fair use is beyond me.
Plenty of websites around that have something similar. Just look for them.

rf

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > http://www.highfonts.com/fontsearch.asp?ord=onyx
> >
> > be sure to check the copyright info to see if your use is permitted.
> >

> Copyright? On a font? Oh
> puuuuhhhhhhhhllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeee ee.
> Toys-r-us tried suing a company for copying their "original design" and
> lost.

Irrelevant.

> The alpahbet is not protectable by copyright

True.

> and neither are the fonts used
> to display them with.

Oh yes they are.

Feed "font foundry" to google and see just how many people out there *sell*
fonts. That is, they hold the copyright to the font and sell you a copy for
your own personal use. These people make a living out of creating fonts. If
you pirate their fonts and use them illegally then they can, and do, sue.

And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it looks
almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.

Please do your homework before coming up with blanket statements like the
above.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Loren Waddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
> > expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
> > http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really

> asking
> > is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > -Loren
> >

> Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's close to
> it.
> Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
> domain and fair use is beyond me.

Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:q0JSa.6566$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Loren Waddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I found a font that would work perfect for what I'm doing but it is so
> > > expensive. The font is Onyx and can be found here:
> > > http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/onyx/ I guess what I'm really

> > asking
> > > is if anybody knows of a similar font that is free. Thanks in

advance.

> > > -Loren
> > >

> > Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's close

> > it.
> > Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
> > domain and fair use is beyond me.

> Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

www.copyright.gov
read the section on what can not be copyrighted.
variations of the alphabet can not be copyrighted. Period.

Richard

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M_ISa.6564$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > http://www.highfonts.com/fontsearch.asp?ord=onyx
> > >
> > > be sure to check the copyright info to see if your use is permitted.
> > >

> > Copyright? On a font? Oh
> > puuuuhhhhhhhhllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeee ee.
> > Toys-r-us tried suing a company for copying their "original design" and
> > lost.

> Irrelevant.
>
> > The alpahbet is not protectable by copyright

> True.
>
> > and neither are the fonts used
> > to display them with.

> Oh yes they are.
>
> Feed "font foundry" to google and see just how many people out there

*sell*
> fonts. That is, they hold the copyright to the font and sell you a copy

for
> your own personal use. These people make a living out of creating fonts.

If
> you pirate their fonts and use them illegally then they can, and do, sue.
>
> And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it looks
> almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
> font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
> called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.
>
> Please do your homework before coming up with blanket statements like the
> above.
>
> Cheers
> Richard.

toys-r-us tried suing a company for using the same font and color scheme and
lost.
where's the documentation that proves they own the copyright?
if they have it, a copy will be in the library of congress records.
bet ya it ain't there.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Richard" <anom@anom> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:q0JSa.6566$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Loren Waddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> > Bullshit. You've probably got one on your system right now that's
>> > close to it. Why is it people think they can sell something like
>> > this that is public domain and fair use is beyond me.

>> Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Richard.

> www.copyright.gov
> read the section on what can not be copyrighted.
> variations of the alphabet can not be copyrighted. Period.

Search http://www.copyright.gov for registration number PA-764-635:
Font garden : a professional collection of 500 fonts for Windows and
Macintosh.
Claimant: acWalnut Creek CDROM, Inc

I'm sure there are others, but that's the first one I found.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Geoff Ball

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.html:

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:q0JSa.6566$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Why is it people think they can sell something like this that is public
>> > domain and fair use is beyond me.

>> Fonts like the one mentined above are *not* in the public domain.

> www.copyright.gov
> read the section on what can not be copyrighted.
> variations of the alphabet can not be copyrighted. Period.

A font is not a variation of the alphabet. It's a collection of glyphs
(carved figures or characters). You can copyright an image of the letter A,
just as you can copyright a glyph of one. Fonts can be and are copyrighted.

Regards,
Geoff

--
http://www.doctype.ca/
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Geoff_Ball

rf

"Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:M_ISa.6564$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > and neither are the fonts used
> > > to display them with.

> > Oh yes they are.
> >
> > Feed "font foundry" to google and see just how many people out there

> *sell*
> > fonts. That is, they hold the copyright to the font and sell you a copy

> for
> > your own personal use. These people make a living out of creating fonts.

> If
> > you pirate their fonts and use them illegally then they can, and do,

sue.

> > And why do you think Microsoft distribute a font call Arial when it

looks
> > almost exactly the same as Helvetica? Because Helvetica is a copyrighted
> > font and MS would be breaching that copyright if they distributed a font
> > called Helvetica, regardless of what it looked like.
> >
> > Please do your homework before coming up with blanket statements like

the
> > above.

> toys-r-us tried suing a company for using the same font and color scheme

and
> lost.
> where's the documentation that proves they own the copyright?
> if they have it, a copy will be in the library of congress records.
> bet ya it ain't there.

You entirely miss the point.

The toys-r-us suit has absolutely nothing to do with the copyright on fonts.

It is the font file, the .TTF file, that is copyright, not the use of that
font on a web site or a toy or anywhere else. That is what you get when you
buy a font. The TTF file and the right to use it, as conferred upon you by
the copyright holder.

Some fonts are not in the public domain, specifically the one the OP wished
to use. If you do not have copyright to the font file or a legal copy of it
then you are in breach of copyright if you use it, anywhere.

toys-r-us lost because they (most probably) do not own copyright to the font
and can therefore not claim breach of copyright. Even if they hold a legal
copy (read a copy purchased from the designer and copyright holder of the
font) then they still have no legal claim on the use of that font by others
that may also have a legal copy of the font. If the font is in the public
domain then toys-r-us have absolutely no legal claim against anybody else
using that font.

However, if toys-r-us in fact did produce the font and therefore held
copyright on it (by merely creating the TTF file as a piece of work) then,
if somebody else used that font and toys-r-us could prove that it was their
TTF file that was used then they would win the suit.

The library of congress also has nothing to do with this. Copyright comes
into being as soon as a peice of work (say a TTF font file) is produced.
Nobody has to tell anybody anything about it at all. It is simply there, and
it is an international thing, not limitied to one country that may have a
building they call the library of congress.

Do you really understand what the terms copyright, public domain and fair
use really mean?

Cheers
Richard.