Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Server-Side Includes

Re: Server-Side Includes

David Dorward

Matt Beckwith wrote:

> I have switched my web site to a server which supports server-side
> includes. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Can I test out the includes on my PC

Yes

> the same way I test out my site on my PC?

Maybe, that depends on how you test your site.

> Or does the Include command only work on a server?

You need a server (or something else that will perform the includes for
you). You can get Apache (which runs over 50% of website from
http://httpd.apache.org/ [its free]).

> 2. Since the extension has to be ".shtml" instead of ".html"

It doesn't, the server can be configured to parse any file for includes, or
(with the XBit hack) any file marked as executable.

> , does it work to have an Include inside of the home page?

Yes

> I mean, it's called index.html, so do I name it index.shtml?

If you rename it .shtml, and the server checks .shtml files for includes
then it will work.

> That is, if I rename it index.shtml, will this be the page that's brought
> up automatically when people go to my site?

If the server is configured to use index.shtml as a Directory Index file it
will.

--
David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/