Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Learning CGI, PERL, etc.

Learning CGI, PERL, etc.

Matt Beckwith

I'd like to learn server-side programming, and have a few questions:

1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is there a
language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
compiler available?

2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My applications
would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so people
could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.

3. What book(s) would you recommend?

Thanks!

--
Matt Beckwith, M.D.
http://drbeckwith.com

David Graham

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bfep5e$j7h$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt Beckwith wrote:
>
> > 1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is

there
> > a language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
> > compiler available?

> You will need a compiler or (more likely) an interpreter. One or both are
> available freely for just about every language out there.
>
> > 2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My

applications
> > would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so

people
> > could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.

> Most databases use SQL, so it doesn't make much difference. MySQL is

popular
> and free.
>
> > 3. What book(s) would you recommend?

> Learning Perl and Programming Perl from O'Reilly, you might want to go for
> The Perl CD Bookshelf which includes both of these.
>
> --
> David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/

I found it relatively easy to learn php and mysql and they combine well for
use on the web - handling variables from a from is very easy.

David

dj

"Matt Beckwith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to learn server-side programming, and have a few questions:
>
> 1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is there

> language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
> compiler available?
>
> 2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My applications
> would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so people
> could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.
>
> 3. What book(s) would you recommend?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Matt Beckwith, M.D.
> http://drbeckwith.com

Perl is an excellent choice, it is fun to learn, and even more fun to use,
and completely free.
I recommend source edit (www.sourceedit.com) as a free editor.
If you are on a windows platform get the cygwin package www.cygwin.com and
install the perl option. FREE!
cygwin also has apache + mods (inc php)

mysql is fine (free!) but IMHO overkill for what you describe. if you are
learning perl, you could use DB files, XML or even plain old text: with perl
the world is your mollusc.

the lama book and the camel book (as the 2 o'reilly books are commonly
called) are an excellent start for anyone learning perl (but alas, not
free). pay special attention to the section on pattern matching, it is the
best skill you can learn.

dj

Mr. Clean

> I'd like to learn server-side programming, and have a few questions:
>
> 1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is there a
> language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
> compiler available?
>
> 2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My applications
> would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so people
> could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.
>
> 3. What book(s) would you recommend?

Hey, Doc,
I second D. Graham's post. PHP is MUCH easier to learn than Perl.
It includes a lot of functionality built-in that Perl requires
extra modules for.

If you've ever done any other kind of programming, I'd suggest PHP
over Perl because Perl makes you think very differently.

Matt Beckwith

"Mr. Clean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I second D. Graham's post. PHP is MUCH easier to learn than Perl.
> It includes a lot of functionality built-in that Perl requires
> extra modules for.
>
> If you've ever done any other kind of programming, I'd suggest PHP
> over Perl because Perl makes you think very differently.

Thank-you, everyone, for the suggestions.

I found an online tutorial for PHP/MYSQL and, just reading the first
chapter, it looks pretty cool.

I checked out my server, and it has both PHP and MYSQL capabilities, so I'm
all set.

I'm going to get a book on PHP/MYSQL though, just because I'd prefer to read
a book than read something online (even though it's free online).

One question: The tutorial talks about populating the database using a
database dump, and this looks pretty complicated. Can't I just create the
database and its fields using my server's interactive utility, and then
create records (data) using the PHP in my web pages?

Thanks.

--
Matt Beckwith, M.D.
http://drbeckwith.com

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

says...

> "Mr. Clean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I found an online tutorial for PHP/MYSQL and, just reading the first
> chapter, it looks pretty cool.

> One question: The tutorial talks about populating the database using a
> database dump, and this looks pretty complicated. Can't I just create the
> database and its fields using my server's interactive utility, and then
> create records (data) using the PHP in my web pages?

Sure, no problem.

Daniel Conderman

All I ever needed has been

> 1. PHP for the World Wide Web Visual Quickstart Guide

and

> 3. MySQL: Visual QuickStart Guide

Both rock, and will show you exactly what you need to do for user accounts,
Etc.

--dan

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:36:30 -0400, "Matt Beckwith"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

.... learning mySql / PHP

> I did have a shorter link somewhere for this post (it may wrap)

> http://www.google.com/groups?q=php+r...&hl=en&lr=&ie=
> UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6oh605s7akuvha2 n%404ax.com&rnum=1

FWIW, the 'selm' parameter is the only one you really need - it's just
the message id:

http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=e...605s7akuvha2n%
404ax.com

Still wraps, though... One could use makeashorterlink, or snurl, or
link.to or one of those, but some of them will go away in time (probably
before google groups does). It would be useful to be able to give links
to newsgroup items in a form like eg :

http://ggrps.com/ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6...ha2n%404ax.com

So if ggrps.com goes away the message id is retained. Is there such a
service? It wouldn't be hard to write. Or am I just rambling
pointlessly?

Ernest Cline

(Original thread on alt.html, crossposted to news.software.readers)

"Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:36:30 -0400, "Matt Beckwith"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> ... learning mySql / PHP
> >
> > I did have a shorter link somewhere for this post (it may wrap)

> > http://www.google.com/groups?q=php+r...&hl=en&lr=&ie=

UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6oh605s7akuvha2 n%404ax.com&r
num=1

> FWIW, the 'selm' parameter is the only one you really need - it's just
> the message id:
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=e...605s7akuvha2n%
> 404ax.com
>
> Still wraps, though... One could use makeashorterlink, or snurl, or
> link.to or one of those, but some of them will go away in time (probably
> before google groups does). It would be useful to be able to give links
> to newsgroup items in a form like eg :
>
> http://ggrps.com/ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6...ha2n%404ax.com
>
> So if ggrps.com goes away the message id is retained. Is there such a
> service? It wouldn't be hard to write. Or am I just rambling
> pointlessly?

There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go to
Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article on the
user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news reader that does
that, but I don't think that it would be hard to code. Since the logical
place to ask if there exists a reader that has a particular feature is
news.software.readers, I've crossposted this reply there so that the
regulars there can give an answer if they so desire.

MartinS

On 31 Jul 2003, "Ernest Cline" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote :

> There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
> What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go
> to Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article
> on the user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news
> reader that does that, but I don't think that it would be hard to
> code. Since the logical place to ask if there exists a reader that
> has a particular feature is news.software.readers, I've crossposted
> this reply there so that the regulars there can give an answer if
> they so desire.

Xnews.

--
Martin S.