Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: putting a form in a html email

Re: putting a form in a html email

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?
> i have a very basic questionnaire that we are sending out, and it
> submits to aspmail running on our webserver.
> seems to work fine when I test it with outlook express, but on most
> other things the submit button loses its powers
> (ie all it does is click... and sit there).
>
> is this a security thang?
>
> cheers
> drew

What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to send
them a link to the page with the form on it.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

dj

good advice, but not my decision.

"Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93BC18549CF02arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.161 ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$(E-Mail Removed) u:
>
> > Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?
> > i have a very basic questionnaire that we are sending out, and it
> > submits to aspmail running on our webserver.
> > seems to work fine when I test it with outlook express, but on most
> > other things the submit button loses its powers
> > (ie all it does is click... and sit there).
> >
> > is this a security thang?
> >
> > cheers
> > drew
> >

> What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to send
> them a link to the page with the form on it.
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell
> http://www.arbpen.com

rf

"dj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f17bf36$0$26531$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns93BC18549CF02arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.161 ...
> > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$(E-Mail Removed) u:
> >
> > > Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?

> > What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to

send
> > them a link to the page with the form on it.

> good advice, but not my decision.

Then whoever made that decision made an incorrect one.

An email client is not a browser. Browsers can process forms (read: action
the submit button), email clients cannot.

Cheers
Richard.

rf

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sjPRa.1676$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f17bf36$0$26531$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> >

> > "Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns93BC18549CF02arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.161 ...
> > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj"

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > > writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> > > What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to

> send
> > > them a link to the page with the form on it.

> > good advice, but not my decision.

> Then whoever made that decision made an incorrect one.
>
> An email client is not a browser. Browsers can process forms (read: action
> the submit button), email clients cannot.

Just did some checking and have some news. Outlook express is the odd one
out.

The message preview pane you see at bottom right in OE and the window you
are looking at when you 'open' a message is, in fact, the Internet Explorer
control. Yep, IE and OE share exactly the same code.

In simple terms the OE preview pane *is* the IE browser. That's why you
achieve success with OE. You are actually loading the email into the IE
browser.

Other email clients do not do this, with the exception of Office Outlook.

Cheers
Richard.

Sid Ismail

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:34:55 +1000, "dj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

: good advice, but not my decision.

Oh well.... you asked.......

Sid

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

In article <3f17bf36$0$26531$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "Adrienne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns93BC18549CF02arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.161 ...
> > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "dj" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > writing in news:3f17b6ca$0$26534$(E-Mail Removed) u:
> >
> > > Does anyone know any tricks re putting a form in an html email?
> > > i have a very basic questionnaire that we are sending out, and it
> > > submits to aspmail running on our webserver.
> > > seems to work fine when I test it with outlook express, but on most
> > > other things the submit button loses its powers
> > > (ie all it does is click... and sit there).
> > >
> > > is this a security thang?

> > What about people who can't/won't accept HTML email? Best bet is to send
> > them a link to the page with the form on it.

> good advice, but not my decision.

Then whoever's making the decision needs to be told that it won't work
for many users, even if they do accept html (it won't work with my setup
for instance, and I use Outlook for email).

Have you tried it with a hotmail account? Lotus notes? AOL? Palmpilot?
Old versions of Express? Other webmail accounts? Sometimes it's a
security thing, sometimes it's just one of those things.

There really is absolutely no way of making this even vaguely reliable,
except by following Adrienne's suggestion. Quote us on this!