Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Awesome use of CSS

Re: Awesome use of CSS

Davmagic com

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>(kchayka)
>I have convinced myself that the viewer
>does not give an accurate representation
>of what the real MSN-TV renders, but I
>have no proof of this. The viewer does
>have a particular problem with % widths,
>rendering px units instead. This is
>*seriously* bad. I wish I knew if the real
>thing has this problem or not. If not, then
>the viewer is totally worthless as a
>developer tool.

I have plenty of width values in percentages on my site and the MSN-TV
Viewer renders the pages correctly! And the "real" Browser renders them
correctly too! The Viewer is not a total loss for developers but "real"
testing should always be done on a "real" MSN-TV Receiver...

The issue on CSS is partially correct, in that the MSN Developer site
indicates certain CSS elements as functional, when infact they are not
(on the MSN-TV Browser) for example "hover" does not function, "float
left or right" does not function, CSS-P works only to a limited extent
but can render different results from IE5+ or NN7+...

I will be more than happy to "test view" anyone's pages on my
Receiver...

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

Dexter J

Salutations:

Davmagic com wrote:

> >From: (E-Mail Removed)
> >(kchayka)
> >I have convinced myself that the viewer
> >does not give an accurate representation
> >of what the real MSN-TV renders, but I
> >have no proof of this. The viewer does
> >have a particular problem with % widths,
> >rendering px units instead. This is
> >*seriously* bad. I wish I knew if the real
> >thing has this problem or not. If not, then
> >the viewer is totally worthless as a
> >developer tool.

> I have plenty of width values in percentages on my site and the MSN-TV
> Viewer renders the pages correctly! And the "real" Browser renders them
> correctly too! The Viewer is not a total loss for developers but "real"
> testing should always be done on a "real" MSN-TV Receiver...
>
> The issue on CSS is partially correct, in that the MSN Developer site
> indicates certain CSS elements as functional, when infact they are not
> (on the MSN-TV Browser) for example "hover" does not function, "float
> left or right" does not function, CSS-P works only to a limited extent
> but can render different results from IE5+ or NN7+...
>
> I will be more than happy to "test view" anyone's pages on my
> Receiver...
>
> Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
> INFO 2000 For You
> http://www.davmagic.com
> See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
> Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

I would be interested in what happens to my site on MSN-TV browser as I
mentioned above - could I trouble you for a quick pass? I'm using base
Flash 4 .swf to address a perl backend..

--

J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time

Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day
Martin Lee - You Was
http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/098.RAM

kchayka

Davmagic com wrote:
>> From: (E-Mail Removed) (kchayka)
>> I have convinced myself that
>> the viewer does not give an accurate representation of what the
>> real MSN-TV renders, but I have no proof of this. The viewer does
>> have a particular problem with % widths, rendering px units
>> instead. This is *seriously* bad. I wish I knew if the real thing
>> has this problem or not. If not, then the viewer is totally
>> worthless as a developer tool.

> I have plenty of width values in percentages on my site and the
> MSN-TV Viewer renders the pages correctly!

You don't use a CSS layout, but a table layout. Totally different
animal. The viewer apparently doesn't barf too badly on plain old HTML.

> The Viewer is not a total loss for
> developers but "real" testing should always be done on a "real"
> MSN-TV Receiver...

I don't know anyone who uses MSN-TV, and I am not about to waste my own
money on it. There are so few users that it is hardly worth the trouble
of testing for it, anyway, but I sometimes feel obligated because I
don't like shutting _anyone_ out.

> The issue on CSS is partially correct, in that the MSN Developer site
> indicates certain CSS elements as functional, when infact they are
> not (on the MSN-TV Browser)

What would be helpful would be a detailed list of discrepancies. I
already found out that floats don't work, % widths don't work, absolute
positioning doesn't work, margins don't work... the list is long. One
thing that you can confirm is whether or not @import works. The MSN
site claims it doesn't, but I've had very mixed results.

--
To email a reply, remove (dash)ns(dash). Mail sent to the ns
address is automatically deleted and will not be read.

Greg Schmidt

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:33:27 -0500, kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>One
>thing that you can confirm is whether or not @import works. The MSN
>site claims it doesn't, but I've had very mixed results.

Recent versions appear to do so (although I can't provide any useful
definition of "recent"). This is unfortunate because I'm using @import
to pull in my "modern" css which recent browsers can handle, but
apparently the MSN TV viewer fails to handle almost everything I have in
there. So, although I hate to admit it, my script that generates my
headers for me detects the WebTV user agent string and doesn't spit out
the @import line for them.

--
Greg Schmidt ((E-Mail Removed))
Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)