Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Does using Javascript really cause problems for screen readers - accessability question

Re: Does using Javascript really cause problems for screen readers - accessability question

William Tasso

Titus A Ducksass wrote:
> Just a thought, I was allways told to avoid using javascript so that
> the code could be accessable to those using a screen reader - Is this
> really true? All the books I find that cover accessability do use
> some javascript.

using it (javascript) isn't a problem. The important thing is to ensure
functionality is still present when client side scripting is not available.

> As a side thought, why is there no news group dedicated to
> accessability?

news:alt.html.web-accessibility is sadly undersubscribed but there are good
folk here that understand the issues.

--
William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

Titus A Ducksass

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:08:45 +0100, "William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>
>using it (javascript) isn't a problem. The important thing is to ensure
>functionality is still present when client side scripting is not available.

Is it available to screen readers? / other adaptive technology? If it
is just turned off then isnt that the problem of the user not the
supplier???????

How do I ensure functionality is still present when client side
scripting is not available?

What I am thinking of has a very complex menu system that appears on
over 300 pages that I am trying to simplify so that only a small menu
appears on each page.

>> As a side thought, why is there no news group dedicated to
>> accessability?

>news:alt.html.web-accessibility is sadly undersubscribed but there are good
>folk here that understand the issues.

Damn NTL don't carry it - how do I get them to do so, especially as it
is a very important issue which will only get more important from Sept
this year - for education / gov sponsored sites and soon for everyone
else....