Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS = Pulling Hair Out

CSS = Pulling Hair Out

greg@gofothdesigns.com

Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now I've
got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:

http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test

After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not working
for me so I don't know what to think.

Here is my CSS:

body {
background-image: url(images/background.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
}

#links{
position: absolute;
top: 62;
right: 10;
}

..logo {
position: absolute;
top: 0;
left: 0;
}

a:link {
font-size: 1em;
font-weight: normal;
color: #000099;
text-decoration: none;
}

a:visited {
font-size: 1em;
color: #000099;
font-weight: normal;
text-decoration: none;

}

a:active {
font-size: 1em;
font-weight: normal;
color: #000099;
text-decoration: none;
}

a:hover {
font-size: 1em;
font-weight: normal;
color: #FFFFFF;
text-decoration: none;
}

Now, the logo positions fine, however the links are as far left and to the
top as they can be. With the coordinates I have set it should position
itself to the very far right hand side of the screen inside the grey area
with the blue bars above and below it. The ID's are correct, the syntax on
the xhtml page is <div id="links">link info here</div> yet it will not
position itself correctly. And I have deleted my cache several times..I've
got no idea about this one. Please help me save my last hair.

-g-

Marc

> Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now I've
> got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:
>
> http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test
>
> After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not working
> for me so I don't know what to think.
>
> Here is my CSS:
>
> body {
> background-image: url(images/background.gif);
> background-repeat: repeat-x;
> }
>
> #links{
> position: absolute;
> top: 62;
> right: 10;
> }
>
> .logo {
> position: absolute;
> top: 0;
> left: 0;
> }
>
> a:link {
> font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-size: 1em;
> font-weight: normal;
> color: #000099;
> text-decoration: none;
> }
>
> a:visited {
> font-size: 1em;
> color: #000099;
> font-weight: normal;
> text-decoration: none;
> font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>

> }
>
> a:active {
> font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-size: 1em;
> font-weight: normal;
> color: #000099;
> text-decoration: none;
> }
>
> a:hover {
> font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-size: 1em;
> font-weight: normal;
> color: #FFFFFF;
> text-decoration: none;
> }
>

> Now, the logo positions fine, however the links are as far left and to the
> top as they can be. With the coordinates I have set it should position
> itself to the very far right hand side of the screen inside the grey area
> with the blue bars above and below it. The ID's are correct, the syntax

on
> the xhtml page is <div id="links">link info here</div> yet it will not
> position itself correctly. And I have deleted my cache several

times..I've
> got no idea about this one. Please help me save my last hair.

You have not set a width for the #links <div> so maybe the <div> is doing
what <div>s are supposed to do, and is taking up all the width it has
available?

Marc

greg@gofothdesigns.com

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bf3k0i$ajh6n$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now

I've
> > got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:
> >
> > http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test
> >
> > After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not

working
> > for me so I don't know what to think.
> >
> > Here is my CSS:
> >
> > body {
> > background-image: url(images/background.gif);
> > background-repeat: repeat-x;
> > }
> >
> > #links{
> > position: absolute;
> > top: 62;
> > right: 10;
> > }
> >
> > .logo {
> > position: absolute;
> > top: 0;
> > left: 0;
> > }
> >
> > a:link {
> > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> > font-size: 1em;
> > font-weight: normal;
> > color: #000099;
> > text-decoration: none;
> > }
> >
> > a:visited {
> > font-size: 1em;
> > color: #000099;
> > font-weight: normal;
> > text-decoration: none;
> > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> >

> > }
> >
> > a:active {
> > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> > font-size: 1em;
> > font-weight: normal;
> > color: #000099;
> > text-decoration: none;
> > }
> >
> > a:hover {
> > font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> > font-size: 1em;
> > font-weight: normal;
> > color: #FFFFFF;
> > text-decoration: none;
> > }
> >

> > Now, the logo positions fine, however the links are as far left and to

the
> > top as they can be. With the coordinates I have set it should position
> > itself to the very far right hand side of the screen inside the grey

area
> > with the blue bars above and below it. The ID's are correct, the syntax

> on
> > the xhtml page is <div id="links">link info here</div> yet it will not
> > position itself correctly. And I have deleted my cache several

> times..I've
> > got no idea about this one. Please help me save my last hair.

> You have not set a width for the #links <div> so maybe the <div> is doing
> what <div>s are supposed to do, and is taking up all the width it has
> available?
>
> Marc

Ok, I've now set the CSS to read:

#links{
position: absolute;
top: 62;
right: 10;
width: 400px;
}

But it completely ignores the positioning. right now it looks like top 0
left 0. Any more ideas?

Thanks again for all the great help I've gotten from you guys.

greg g.

PeterMcC

> Ok, i'm back, got my links working fine from a few threads down, now
> I've got a new problem. First off, the page in question is here:
>
> http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test
>
> After several deletions of cache and history files, it's still not
> working for me so I don't know what to think.

Apart from the other suggestions in this thread, you should define your
links in the order, link, visited, hover, active

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Anders Thorsen Holm

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Ok, I've now set the CSS to read:
>
> #links{
> position: absolute;
> top: 62;
> right: 10;
> width: 400px;
> }
>
> But it completely ignores the positioning. right now it looks
> like top 0 left 0. Any more ideas?

As stated elsewhere in the thread: specify a unit - in this case px
(pixels), like you do when defining the width.

--
Anders Thorsen Holm | http://www.daimi.au.dk/~zoolook/
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by

greg@gofothdesigns.com

> Apart from the other suggestions in this thread, you should define your
> links in the order, link, visited, hover, active

Taken from a few threads below: Why dosen't My CSS Work?

Be sure to define the rules in this order:

a:link {}
a:visited {}
a:active {}
a:hover {}

Which is it?

By the way, my stuff is working now...thanks again guys.

-g-

Anders Thorsen Holm

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Taken from a few threads below: Why dosen't My CSS Work?

[snip - my bad]

> Which is it?

Peter's right, you should define the rules in this order:
link, visited, hover, active.

With my code the rules for the hover-pseudoclass would be applied even
*after* you'd activated a link in stead of the :hover-pseudoclass
rules.

--

Anders Thorsen Holm wrote:

> With my code the rules for the hover-pseudoclass would be applied
> even *after* you'd activated a link in stead of the
> :hover-pseudoclass rules.

^^^^^

active, even .... damn, the heat is really getting to my head today.
Bloody weather.

--
Anders Thorsen Holm | http://www.daimi.au.dk/~zoolook/
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by
bolts of lightning."
- Calvin, Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

In article <4ecRa.64885$(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> http://www.goforthdesigns.com/test

> Here is my CSS:

Your hair's best friend is this site:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-text.html

It won't fix all of your problems, but it will find all the syntax
errors.

Toby A Inkster

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:15:44 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> #links{
> position: absolute;
> top: 62;
> right: 10;
> }

Units: px? em? ex? percent?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS | (E-Mail Removed) | pgp:0x6A2A7D39
aim:inka80 | icq:6622880 | yahoo:tobyink | jabber:(E-Mail Removed)

Pulling my hair out.. Mr. Politics C++ 9 02-12-2007 06:14 PM
Pulling my hair out right now. =?Utf-8?B?SmV3ZWxzSA==?= Windows 64bit 6 10-25-2006 03:39 AM
Pulling my hair out!! Gymfreakish Computer Support 4 04-10-2004 07:23 PM
Error calling method on object... I'M PULLING MY HAIR OUT HERE!! Richard C++ 6 11-15-2003 01:06 AM
pulling my hair out charles wharton Computer Support 21 10-02-2003 06:41 AM

Advertisments